Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Used G&L basses under valued?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basstrader, Apr 8, 2004.

1. I've noticed that used G&L basses seem to be great values. They're USA made products, designed by the Man himself, and seem to get rave reviews. Someone is selling an L2000 on the classifieds right now, and he's asking only $500. That seems to be about par. I saw an SB1 for about $300 not to long ago. Anyone else notice this? Or care about it? :)

Happy Easter, BT

2. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    *whispers* that's one of the best kept secrets in the world, man. Keep it down. ;)

3. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Although there are extreme bargains still to be had on occasion, the prices seem to be creeping upwards. I know I've done my part by buying & selling a large number of used G&Ls and promoting them to one and all.

4. I have noticed the trend also, I have had some great buys and finding it harder to get great buys recently. I was buying as fast as I could !

I wouldn't mind picking up the L2000 listed here on talkbass but want to get a few other models from G&L to round out the collection. I currently have a L1000 fretless on the way....

The time of buying under priced G&L's may be ending which makes me happy and sad all at the same time. :hyper: :crying:

5. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I've got an L2K, an SB-1(old single p'up) and an LB100. All great basses, and purchased relatively inexpensively. I know what you mean about being happy and sad.

6. Well the(used) L2000 is a top choice for my next bass and I'll be sad if I can't find agood bargain by the time I have some $green$ to spend on it.:meh:

Glenn

7. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I agree with the seemingly low prices---and great value. Any given day on Ebay you can find a "mint" one for well below new price and with very little competition in the bidding. Good for a buyer...maybe not so for someone selling...but that won't happen with mine! incredible bass. :)

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Do you guys think the new prices are too high?.

9. craigb

The new-new prices or the new-used prices? :D

I think the new-new prices are in line with the value of the instrument. I've bought 2 L-2000s new (99 and 02, I think) and got them both for less then I paid for a brand new Stingray in '98 (on which I found a great deal at the time). Both for under 1K each. Unfortunately that G&L dealer no longer sells them by mail order so I don't know if you could find the same discount. But at least it seems like a US G&L is comparable in price to a US Fender or Musicman. And I don't see where any of those is overvalued. At list maybe, but not street.

I think the new-used prices are still a good value. I'm looking for an SB-2 and while I've had several that I bought for $380-$475 in the past I'm not sure I'm going to get away with one for under $500 these days. But I still think they are worth it. And if you are patient deals are still there - just not as common.

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

The New-New Prices, I have seen L 2000 in New-New condition priced in the $1400 range.

11. craigb

That's steep - the two new L2Ks I've bought were under $1000 (and the second was an '02 with #6 neck). If I were in the market for one now I'd check with BassNW, Buffalo Bros, Guitar Adoptions, Bass Central, etc and see what I could find.

MF has them at $1129.99 (US L2K) so I suspect you'd be able to do that well or better at other dealers.

Then again if you want a figured top (about the only really expensive option I can think of) then it's going to cost.

The best current advertised bargain I know of is a closeout ASAT bass (telecaster body, skinny #8 neck) at Music123 for $999

The Tributes are pretty good (I've tried an L2K w/basswood body). Not quite as nice as a US model but not bad. But for the going rate I'd rather have a used US model.

12. ive stolen g&l basses used... i got an l2000 for 355 shipped, a sb-1 for like 350... an sb2 with 2 jazz pickups for 250... another brand new sb-1 for 350 (still had the plastic on the pickguard, but technically it was used)

they are great basses at great prices... if you are patient you can find awesome deals... if you want one right away you can still get them for a bargain... i have a feeling this is going to change once people start becoming more aware of the brand because of the tribute line

13. i think they are better than usa fenders... thats just my opinion though

14. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    ..for the love of god!- somebody please shut this thread down. I'm about two months short financially before being free to pick either an L2000 orL2500 as a super-sweet second bass.
    Please nobody post anything else on this subject ever, ever , ever again!
    I'm serious!!!;)

15. I got my L-1500 for $650 brand new. Came with the hard shell case, warranty, etc..... It's trans orange with matching headstock and maple board. Probably the nicest bass I've ever owned.

My other bass is the next best value going. It's a Reverend Rumblefish. Probably the coolest bass I've ever owned.

I have been in the habit of buying and selling basses trying to find something that fits me. I usually think the more I spend the better the bass. Not true!!

16. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Just sold 3 very nice G&L's all for a fair price. L2K custom (originally a brochure model) for in the 7s, a great shape mahogany '82 L2000e for early 8's and a blue sparkle JB2 for 7 and change. I did quite well and know that 18 months ago I could not have gotten these prices. All the guys who bought them have commented that although they thought they were priced on the high side, in today's market they are a bargain.

I was without a G&L for almost a month and was scratching around trying to get some good replacements. For some reason, these instruments are like a drug to me - I have to have one (at least) around. Fender MM etc do not light me up in the same way. Yes, prices have gone up - A LOT - for the good stuff; I have been looking..carefully!

Managed to get an SB-1 (old) for $200. It's a refin but in great shape and plays like a champ. There is an L-1000 coming my way for $350 and I got an early L2K for $550 from ebay (what a horror show that is - keep away it will be back Bayside shortly!). Yes, these prices are good BUT they are for refin/well used 'player 'pieces.

However, I bought my real keeper just last week for $750 - a mint natural L-2000 with ebony board and #6 (maybe #8) jazz style neck. This was a hard slog and it took me over 2 months to track it down and finally buy the thing but it is superb.

Now, folks, here is the kicker! IMO the G&L bass market is moved by a small band of dedicated afficionados who post here and at the Dudepit. Just one or two of these guys' moves are followed very closely by others and what they buy, others swoop in to buy too. Case in point, SB-2's could be stolen a while back but a certain someone gave them the highest praise and started buying and their prices went up accordingly!!

BTW, this is not a criticism of the "guys", they are a very knowledgeable, helpful and astute group who have a severe addiction to these much under-appreciated bass gems.

So, hear this....if you want a bargain right now, buy JB-2 or ASAT!!! Yes, you heard it here first - these are not the flavor of the month, at least not today. JB-2 pups suck and ASATs dive IMO but they are still great. If you can find an LB-100, these are a great value too. Also pre-BBE instruments (i.e Leo era instruments) in good shape can be still had for a reasonable sum, in the words of your broker - "ACQUIRE".

There is a guy on Ebay who has really taken this price rise thing to heart - he is looking to start a rather bizarre L2K at $2100.

As another poster said - let's shut this thread down and keep it to ourselves. If we keep scratching it's sure not to get better! Good G&L hunting............

17. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've been tampering with the idea of selling my G&L-I've found that my Valenti can get most of the tones i want, and I really want a Hollowbody, but don't have alot of money. I haven't played the G&L in a while. It's Ash with the "Tobacco Sunburst" finish, Matching headstock, Natural wood binding around the body, and an unmarked rosewood (but it could be ebony) fingerboard. Model is the L-2000. HSC. It's missing a screw on the control cavity cover, and has no scratches. How much would you think that would go for in today's market? By the way, it was built May-2002.

Thanks,
    Scott D.

18. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    If you are selling it to me - $550!

The binding pushes it up there (personally don't like binding as it cuts off the circulation in my arm) and so it should make over $700 if you sell it intelligently with good pics AND replace that screw!

Did I really say that?! No, no it's worth high 4's.... :D

19. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I think this current economy has affected the used market of most gear. It's totally out-of-whack! There are a bunch of basses that can be had for unbelievable deals, G&L is just one of them. I think part of the reason for G&L's not being in such demand is that they really don't do much in terms of marketing, and there aren't as many G&L dealers as there are Fender, Ibanez, or Gibson dealers out there, so there product isn't talked about as much at the dealer level as the others. If it were me, I would buy a G&L any day over a Fender, but that's just me.

20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thats the same reason Im selling my G&L!

I have a new Valenti on the way but no one is biting on my G&L L-2500. I figured $800 was good but no one went for it. No ones even making offers. :(

They're great basses, but I just dont know why no one is going for it.

Peace
    Nick