Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Used G&L question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CraigD, Aug 18, 2000.

1. CraigD

CraigD

Jul 21, 2000
    Ottawa, Canada
    Ok first post...here goes. I've just come across a used G&L L2500 in a local store. I don't know when it was made, but it looks and feels in very fine condition. This bass has 2 EMG pickups(active) and sounded sweeter than any other bass I played in the place. Not knowing much about G&L, I have 2 questions. (1) What is the likelihood that the pickups are original? - I've been through the G&L website and through guitarsbyleo.com and can't find a picture of one that is setup the same as this one. And (2) What are these worth? I know these are pretty high end instruments, but other sites don't list prices. Even if anyone has a ballpark guess for what they might be willing to pay for it - I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers All

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'm no G&L expert but I do recall a model that came from the factory with EMGs. I thought it was the 5500.

Just checked the website, the L5500 is the only bass listed with EMG pickups. They may have been available as a custom order or replaced by the owner.

http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/faq.php3#Q3

3. CraigD

CraigD

Jul 21, 2000
    Ottawa, Canada
    My mistake man, it is a 5500. At least I know now that it was made that way. Thanks for the info Brad -- much appreciated.

C

4. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    paid $600 for my L2500 used, but it was mint, and came with a case. the 5500 should have come with a case also. shooting from the hip I'm thinking (yes, i do that occasionally) $6-800, but i could be wrong. brad, embellisher, and a few others are more read on this subject. even though they don't list prices at some sites, they will tell you on the phone or autoemail you.

also do a search on g& l's in this board, and you may find more answers.

5. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    As per Tony Petraglia,at the G+L factory(I just spoke to him on this very subject Thursday!)The 5500 was discontinued for two reasons.One the string spacing was too tight,and two, alot of people(myself included)really dislike EMGs,and made it known to the factory.Once they had their own pick up ready they made the L-2500.I see L-2500s sell for 600-700 used.I had the very first L-2500 CUSTOM.(4+1 tuners,bookmatched Ash top,2 piece Alder body,binding)I sold it Thursday for $950.Pick up sound and string spacing obviously are a matter of taste.Many people loved that bass.Bass Player magazine loved it.It kind of put G+L basses on the map.I wouldnt be surprised if you can get this bass for $500 with hard case.By the way the original case should be a good old type case,not the new molded crap,that the feet break off of.

6. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    Spotted one of these on ebay this morning.Its up to around $325.In the guitars-bass category.Thought you might like to know.