Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Used G&Ls

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nomadic Herder, Feb 21, 2001.

1. What is the normal price on one of those active G&Ls? I think theyre L2000s. Im talking used, because new is rather expensive.

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It depends. I've seen them sell on eBay in excellent condition from $600-800. There is one in <font color=green>trans-green</font> on eBay which is currently @ $390.00. <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1410327156">Click Here</a> to see it. I don't think it'll end @ that price, but if it's lower than $700, it's a great deal.

3. Register_To_Disable

4. There's a site called ugbm.com that had an L-2000 last week, priced at $599.

I owned an ASAT bass (an L-2000, but with a telecaster-style body) that I sold over bassgear.com for $600 shipped.

So it seems as though ~600 is the consistent, ballpark, used figure.

5. Which is probable not a whole lot less then new. I bought an L2500 (5 string version) brand new at BNW for $899 plus $35 for shipping. I would think you'd be able to get an L2000 for around $800. If you buy it new you would also get the 10yr warranty.

6. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I have just inquired about this bass actually they have two of them and I have one coming in to the local Daddy's store tomorrow to check out.
    It's the Trans Red one with a rosewood board I can't wait! I'll let you all know how I made out.
    599 with case is a pretty good price and I'm pretty sure I'll get the standard 50 dollars of for being a good customer so 550 for one in VG shape seems pretty reasonable to me.

7. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I just bought one that is less than a year old and the owner only had it less than a month. Got it on ebay for $500+shipping.

I'd say that an L-2000 used, depending on year, will run closer to $600 though.

8. RGL

RGL

Feb 13, 2001
    Portland,Maine
    Got mine for $600.00 (Trans Red with OHSC)

Love it!

9. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I got ripped off I paid 645.00 with shipping only
    kidding I have a tobacco sunburst L-2000 with
    a birdseye (yes birdseye maple neck) and I love it

10. RGL

RGL

Feb 13, 2001
    Portland,Maine
    "I got ripped off I paid 645.00 with shipping only
    kidding I have a tobacco sunburst L-2000 with
    a birdseye (yes birdseye maple neck) and I love it"

Awesome deal Harpo! How does the maple fretboard effect the tone?

11. got www.bassnw.com ...they have a big G&L sale goin on right now.

12. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    The Maple board plays like butter and soung great

13. asherd

asherd

Jan 7, 2001
    I got a '94 G&L L-2000 fretless (rare find!) at some store in Wisconsin for $550 w/case. Great sounding instrument - but i had to replace the nut, and convert the preamp from 9 to 18 volts (2 batteries) to control the pickup farting that I'd get by playing agressively with one pickup selected. So I guess I speant a little over 700, but still worth it. Any L2000 more than a few years old, TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!

14. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I ended up buying the one from Daddy's Junky music for 450 bucks without case nice bass trans red with rosewood neck. I have the fart problem when I dig in also, I thought it was the battery but I changed it and it still farts when I play hard or dig in. Hmmm I'm going to give it a fair chance but if the thing still farts I don't know what to do with it maybe trade her for something else, Epi Jack Cassidy or a nice Pbass or a nice Ernie Ball Stingray.
    Any Takers

15. I have no idea whatsoever what you guys are talking about re "farting". I will also tell you that at times, I dig in really hard. I have an L-2000 and an L-2500 and neither have ever done this to me.

G&L's are very high output basses though. Perhaps your preamp on your amp is being overdriven. Maybe you need to back off the volume control on the bass a bit so you don't drive your preamp too much.

As I said, I've never had this problem - I use an Eden WT-400 head with an 410XLT cabinet.

16. Hey, Funkster -- how did you get UGBM.com to drop their asking price by $150?

That's info which could really help all of us!

17. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I My 99 l-2000 does not have this problem and I am a very pretty hard I do have to care though
    not to becaues it will overdrive diffrant amps though

My self I have a big farting problem so my wife tells me

18. asherd

asherd

Jan 7, 2001
    As for my G&L pickup farting, it's definately not the battery being low, and it's not overdriving my amp (the clipping light doesn't light up and the gain is very low). Maybe it only happens on the older models. It helps to drop the volume and bass knobs a little, but it doesn't completely solve the problem. Even so, any bass should sound stable with its controls up all the way. Lowering the pickups and adding another 9-volt battery and maybe dropping the actual preamp gain should take care of it (the bass will still sound huge with the gain dropped). Still, it's a bit of a blemish on this otherwise great sounding instrument.

19. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Howdy Jsonnenblick, It wasn't easy getting them to lower the price but I have been doing business with the same Daddy's and the same manager for the last 14 years and I built a great relationship with him.
    I played the bass ,it was in dyer need of a set up the neck had a little twist in it there was no case I talked him down and he gave me the manager special as he calls it, asis with no return. She ended up being a real nice player when it was properly set up. I had a extra case for it.

I still get the farting only on the E string when I really dig in. I play through a SVT so I can't be overdriving the preamp plus I AB'd the G&L and the MusicMan and I had no farting out of the MM whatsoever. I really haven't had time to sit down with it to get a handle on it and ring it out. I'll let you know this weekend what I find with it.