1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Used Gear from Guitar Center..a question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by troy mcclure, Jul 20, 2012.

1. I have read some horror stories about stuff not being right when folks buy used gear, so I am asking if anyone knows can you have something shipped into a store and try it and if it is not as described not buy the item?

2. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    You pay for the item up front with "ship to store", but as with all of their new and used gear, there is a 30 day sarisfaction garuntee. Provided its in the same condition as when it was purchased. With used gear, its nearly No questions asked.

3. I've only bought used stuff directly from the store, and conditions vary greatly. The Turdster '51 P ressiue was actually new, just sold as used due to an overstock/warehouse buyout. The other end of the spectrum was an Ampeg 4/12 git cabinet, which I had to basically rebuild-price was right ($159) and it came out OK so I didn't bother to return it. Most stuff is somewhere in the middle and you can always give it a good rundown and return without a hassle. It's kind of a crapshoot, but you can occasionally get good deals if you know what your're looking for.

4. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    You buy it, they ship it to you. If you don't like it you return it to your nearest store with very little questions asked. I've done it a couple times.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I've had good luck. Keep in mind that if you return an item, you'll eat the original cost of shipping (their shipping charges are pretty cheap).

I suspect that if the item isn't as described, they'd refund shipping charges too.

6. AFAIK the 30 day return policy applies to all purchases, even ones you have shipped in from another Guitar Center. ask.

my son and I have purchased numerous items used from GC. some we brought back but most we have kept and are very happy with.

never had an item shipped. all our used purchases were on the floor of the local GC.

the people are nice and helpful (within their limitations), and i would certainly purchase used there again.

davesignatureII-1.

7. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I bought a used acoustic guitar online from what was actually the store nearest where I work and had it shipped to the store nearest where I live. Since those two locations are under twenty five miles apart, shipping wasn't bad at all.

It showed up and the minor cosmetic damage to the top turned out to almost be like Willie Nelson's guitar. Since I had not intended to buy Trigger, I immediately nixed it. We looked throught their computers and picked one with a better pic, applied what I'd paid on guitar A to guitar B, and had it shipped FROM BOSTON. But since it was replacing one that they'd screwed me on, whether intentionally or not, they ate shipping cost.

That's how I got a Taylor 114ce for essentially half of new cost.

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'm not sure how others order their used gear from GC, but when the bug first bit me, I'd find the item on http://used.guitarcenter.com, wait impatiently for the store to open, then call the store and order it from a person.

Now, I still find the item there, but instead of calling, I note the item number (it's the long number under the photo) then go to the main GC site type "In-store used (and then the item number)" in the search field.

Having just typed all that, I conducted an experiment by going to the main site and typing "in-store used (item I'm searching for)" in the search field. That works too and saves a step.

You can then add the item to your cart and continue shopping for more used treasures. And you can do it 24/7/365...

The benefit of ordering multiple items in a single order is that the combined shipping charges are not much more than they would be for a single item. Example, last week, I ordered instruments from three different stores, one in Nashville, TN, one from a Minneapolis, MN area store and one from Tempe, AZ. The total shipping charge for all three instruments to my home in the Chicago area was about $22.

Happy shopping!!!

Edit: One other thought. If you opt for "Pro Coverage" (their warranty product), your return period is extended to 60 days. Plus, you can return the Pro Coverage within the first 30 days if you'd like to (but then your return period is also reduced to 30 days (which I think is very generous)). I generally avoid Pro Coverage, but have opted for it a few times if the item would be really expensive to repair (a tube amp for instance).

No, I don't work for GC...

9. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    First when buying anythings used always get it set up by a professional they'll tell you what to expect from it as it ages and can tell you if something really is fixable or not.

That's my advice for anything used.