Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

used head is quite quiet... cause?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Crockettnj, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    I have a used head that is rated at 250 watts into 4 ohms.

the amp itself is in near mint condition otherwise... looks fantastic. the Knobs crackle a little.

I ran it into an in-sensitive 4 ohm cab, and i had to turn the post gain up to 10 and the pregain up to 7 in order for it to be head at TV/radio volumes. I turned both up to 9 and it still wasnt what i consider acceptable for even a low volume band practice. (fyi- i run under 110db at 99% of our normal practices.) I would not be surprised if someone told me it was a 15 watt bass head. But it's not supposed to be!!!!!!!

the tone, however, was EXCELLENT.

I instead ran it into a very sensitive 8 ohm cab. not much better. a little, but not much.

lest you ask- my bass, cables, battery, and speakers are not the issue. A new head sitting nearby bore that out.

I opened her up, and i didnt see any loose connections. It is solid state.

Could something go wrong where an amp loses it's OOOOMPH but still retains its sound quality?

My previous head was exactly the same wattage, and completely BLEW this away volume wise. BLEW it away.

any help , advice , or insight is appreciated.

2. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    More info needed...what brand/model is the head in question? is it a solid state, tube, or hybrid design amp? what brand/model are the cabs used?

Its hard to say if there is a difference in tone if you didn't hear the head before when it was louder...

3. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    It's an AMP bh250 i got on ebay not too long ago. the tone is really sweet. it weighs about nothing. its minty fresh looking. but my HEAVENS there is NO volume to it.

it's all solid state, no tubes at all. The cab is a stereo speaker and the other cab is a MIDRANGE machine- a home made EVM112. i dont know the stats, but it is quite sensitive. It is a "loud" cab, so to speak.

i even "wiggled" the output jack on teh AMP amp to see if the connection was bad. NO change in sound... no scratching to indicate a bad connection.

This all makes me think that 1) the problem is interior 2) the AMP bh250 is the quietest 250 watt amp ever made 3) i got shafted on EVilbay.

4. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    OK, this may be a dumb question, but are you sure it's a 120 volt model?

5. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    actually, that doesnt sound stupid at all. i am going to check. the plug isnt unusual looking... its the same one i have used for other amps.

I'll check to see what it says on the back

OK- 120 volts AC 50/60HZ 600 watts max. not the problem.

6. FWIW it isn't too surprising that an insensitive 4 ohm cab and a sensitive 8 ohm cab produce similar sound levels (less power into 8 ohm cab etc).

As for the overall lack of volume... it almost sounds like the amp is just pretty feeble. I'm sure someone with more experience will step in, but I find it hard to imagine a problem which enables an amp to operate normally, just at a dramatically reduced volume.

7. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    Jem,

"but I find it hard to imagine a problem which enables an amp to operate normally, just at a dramatically reduced volume."

it's beyond my scope of knowledge/experience. hoping someone w/ more experience chimes in. I feel taken as of now.

8. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    PM Dave Funk. I think that he occasionally works on these amps. I know that his thunderfunk head is a derivative of the AMP.

9. I have an Eden Metro (600 watts at 2 ohms) that developed a bad connection, due to vibration, at the solder point of a vertically mounted power resistor in the power supply. The sound/tone was perfect but the volume was definitely not anywhere close to 600 watts. Once the solder joint was fixed the volume jumped up to where it was supposed to be.

10. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ

yours is pretty much the type of post i was hoping for. So it IS POSSIBLE for an amp to have something relatively minor wrong, retain tone, yet have no balls. either way i guess i will have to send it out, as my amp-tech skills are several healthy notches south of sub par.

As an aside, the link re the post about the dual bag end setup with the AMP 250 was the icing on the cake for me- I had to buy it! hence my disappointment.

I have some questions about the bh420 too, but i will save that for another thread.

any other comments/thoughts appreciated.