1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

used Henry the 8x8. Talk me out of it.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Standalone, Nov 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    just played a used Pedulla through a clapped out eden (I used to have a Metro) and an 8x8. This was my dream rig in 1999...

I have a big soundproofed and sound treated studio space at home, sonI have room. But I would just be owning it for the hell of it and will never ever gig with it. Still...

Mr.Ace likes this.
  2. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    I have a buddy that still takes one to gigs...I dunno, I like em a lot :)

/\/\3phist0, pjbassist and Pbassmanca like this.
  3. EpicSoundtracks

EpicSoundtracks Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    Lollar Pickups, Dunlop Strings
    those cabs are great, i say hit it.

4. What's it going to do for you in your studio that couldn't be done with your existing stuff?

Omega Monkey and BassmanPaul like this.
  5. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Get it.
    There's one here that's only been to large outdoor shows(2 or 3 in the past 10 years).
    It came here after I heard Amy in Clatter using hers with a Ric at a club in Houston. I was about 15 feet away from her cabinet and the sound caused a smile to appear on my face the entire gig.

Standalone, pjbassist and dukeorock like this.
  6. Get it I sold mine and miss it dearly.

blindrabbit, Standalone and pjbassist like this.
  7. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    They are nice cabs but the speakers are somewhat delicate and harder to replace now.
    I had one and blew 3 different speakers in it and wasn't playing it any harder than my other cabs.
    I've spoken to a couple others who have blown them also.

tekhedd, mindwell and 60bass like this.
  8. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    It isn't 1999. You can do much better these days.

9. I say go for it. If it sounds good to you, just hit it!

And people (still) think I'm crazy for rehearsing with an SVT810. Same thing though- sounds great for my style.

Son of Wobble and jumbodbassman like this.
  10. ninepoundjammer

ninepoundjammer Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    I gather you meant to write "so I have room", but I so want you to have written "son I have room".

If you have the room and the money and don't ever plan to move it, then why not? If I had a ton of room I'd have an ampeg 8x10 but I know from experience that I'd never move it.

LeftyD and Standalone like this.
  11. muddycreek

muddycreek

Feb 26, 2010
    So, granted I haven't been on talk bass as consistently as many people but really, when has anybody ever talked anybody else out of a gear purchase unless it's to buy something more expensive?

So, I say, it's great that you found a Henry the 8x8. What you should really do is contact a custom builder and have them build you a neo based, lighter weight replica for a lot more money. And you probably need a new head for it.

12. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    If you have room and want it, buy it. That's a killer cab and If I were in your boat I'd have already bought it. Used to use a Mesa D180 through mine and it was glorious.

jumbodbassman and chaosMK like this.
  13. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better.

Sep 19, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I bought one a couple years ago and didn't like the voicing, but if it sounded like "home" to you, and the price is good, why not?

14. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    I have several cabs that use those same 8" Celestions and all have failed me over time. Surprised that cab is still holding up, maybe it was only played in polite circumstances? Anyway as was mentioned above you should be prepared to replace every one of those drivers over time. IME / YMMV

15. jaymelewis

jaymelewis

Jan 6, 2010
    Fillmore, CA
    Ya I brought an SVT rig home years ago, as soon as I sat it down on the floor I decided it wasn't moving again haha

Ephraim likes this.
  16. Manticore

Manticore

Feb 27, 2016
    SoCal
    If you like it and won't miss the money, grab it. I used that cab for a while in the '90s and loved it. I then replaced it with a pair of 4X8 Henry Jr. cabs. For gigging, the Henry Jrs are out there, but they are rare.

17. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Phil Jones now makes a 4x7 - would a pair of those be a reasonable substitute?

18. A studio I recorded at had TWO of these cabs there. One was being used as a coffee table and the other one had all eight speakers working. I lusted after one for a hot minute until I realized how expensive it would be to replace those hard to find speakers.

19. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    Consider yourself talked out of it... move on;) :thumbsup:

Standalone likes this.
  20. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I use my 8x10 for practice at home and my 1x12 for everything else.