Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Used Lakland 55-01 $530 shipped...fair?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Abemas, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Abemas

Abemas

Dec 15, 2005
    Looking at buying a used 55-01 and he is offering it for $530 shipped...this sound like a pretty good deal? It would be traveling from IL to MI and it would be a one day transit. I'm trying to figure out how much of this is shipping and what he wants for the guitar up front (although I suppose I could ask =). I ran the UPS rates for a 9ish pound package and it came back with a little under 10 bucks shipping...would insurance and the size of the boxed item add a great deal more?

Thanks!

2. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    Well if it has a case it will be more and then the box,figure about
    20 to 25 bucks 5 day ground but if you are that close it could be cheaper and maybe you could get it overnight shipping,does it have a case?

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Sounds fair to me. If you were ordering from an internet dealer, you would pay about $30.

4. Abemas

Abemas

Dec 15, 2005
    Gig bag but he is boxing it with padding accordingly aswell.

5. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    If the bass is in good condition and includes a hardshell case it is a pretty good deal. 20-30 is pretty standard for shipping a bass. If there is no hardshell, or the bass is worn, I would try and negotiate 50 or so bucks off. With a case and good condition, you really can't go wrong. Have you seen pics?

6. Abemas

Abemas

Dec 15, 2005
    Yeah I've seen pics but nothing thats crazy detailed. He mentioned the worn areas and since its a natural finish he said they are pretty hard to see. No hardcase just a gig bag, but they guy seems to be on the up and up.

7. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    see if he will give you his phone number and chat with him a bit. :)

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Lakland Skylines do not come with a hardshell, they come with a gig bag.

I think that $530 shipped is about right, as long as the bass is in very good shape.

9. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    guitar adoptions sells alot of there skylines with a case,case free,
    i almost bought a skyline darryl jones 5 from there,free case and shipping,great deal,also being that bass central here in fla. has none of the dj5,i think guitaradoptions bought them up but i ended up getting a fender roscoe beck 5.

10. Abemas

Abemas

Dec 15, 2005
  11. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    I would like to see better pics but it looks like a darn good deal
    what year?

12. Abemas

Abemas

Dec 15, 2005

He isn't sure...just knows it is atleast 01

13. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    well you could get a brand new one for $700 from bass central but not with the nice bart pickups.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

According to the auction, that one has the stock pickups. It does have the USA preamp. I am one of the minority that prefer the sound of the MK-1 preamp to the USA preamp.

But considering the upcharge for the USA preamp, the bass is an even better deal.

15. Abemas

Abemas

Dec 15, 2005

Yeah they actually quoted me $650 with free shipping if I order in the next week. So the question is which one is the better value/quality?

16. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    basscentral is advertising a used one with the mk for $500
    but it's a tough call,it would be nice to be able to try them out
    this is your call,it's a tough one.

17. Abemas

Abemas

Dec 15, 2005
    Yeah I tried to go that route too...all of those used ones are sold out.

18. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    so a new one without the us pre-----$650
    or a used one with us for ------------- $530

well if the frets are in good shape on the used one
    and the guy seems to know about basses,he probably picked a good one--maybe go used

19. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    looks like the question is: do you want to pay 120.00 for a warranty and guarantee?
    the other factor is your pre-preference.
    d

20. Abemas

Abemas

Dec 15, 2005
    Just wanted to let you guys know I went ahead with the used bass. I asked the guy to lower the price a bit. He said he couldn't bring it down any more but offered a solution to save me some cash....turned out he was driving to visit his family in Detroit for the holidays and since he would be driving through my home town anyways he offered to meet up with me so I could see the bass in person and save the 30 bucks shipping. Long story short the bass was in fantastic shape and I made the purchase. Thanks again to everybody who offered advice. I really appreciate it!