1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Used LMII inplace of my SVT2/V4BH

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rodl2005, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Well thats what I did last Sat. In my "big" band Sugartrain-8 piece old school soul/funk etc... Took it coz the gig was up 2 flights of stairs etc..:help:
    Was preparing for it to be not punchy at higher levels etc... BUT IT ROCKED!!!!!! Hope it's just a case of using something different-"grass is Greener" type thang:smug:
    But it handled the volume EASILY - was at 4 ohms thru the AGuilar GS112 & GS115. Sounded great- had the 2 filters about 9oclock each . Not QUITE as much solidity in the lower registers as the V4BH or SVT2 but still nice & even thu-out the freqs, plenty powerful(wasn't going thru FOH PA) . This was the 1st time I'd used it at a large-ish gig with this band- I always use it for our Jazz & blues quartet tho- SO I will try it again asap & post my results, but if it turns out to be so good for a long time...so I get used to it & then see how it 'feels'.... it's gonna be hard to justify taking an extra 40-70lbs to each gig!! :ninja::eyebrow: :eek:
    I always knew it was a great li'l amp, but I'm SURE it was a case of - having a "New" amp there & a different sound- it happened a few yrs ago when I got my 1st S.A. amp too- lasted about 8 months B4 I wanted my old Power tubes back again. We'll see!!!!! :rollno:

2. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Well if you like the sound of the LMII as much as the Ampeg than I don't see why you'd ever take it. However, if its a matter that the LMII filled in nicely at a venue that would have required a lot of lifting, etc. than you might have more of decision process to go thru.

3. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Your Mark seems to get allot of praise around here so I'd imagine its a very cool amp.
    I'm subscribed to hear your future reports.

ps: If were all "coming out of the closet" here:
    I just found out my new gwetar-twanger's Vox has a ss power section... :D

4. Pedro....... I liked the sound whether as much as the All tube babies.... Hmmmm don't think so! BUT it did the job superbly. So when ther IS a gig where there are NO elevators etc At least I DO know it WILL do the job well. I still think it was a case of "a new sound" the same thing happened when I tried out a S.S. amp yrs ago & then bought a B2R Ampeg. The Different sound was what 'turned me on" After a few months I was hankerin' for an ALL tube power section. I really can't see any different scenario happening here. But I was going into the gig thinking that the LMII would be lacking in certain areas & it DID surprise me with it's quality of sound. We'll see!!!!!!!!

Anderbass- The LMII IS a cool amp. Just the size alone-compared to power is astonishing. & the quality of sound is also! It'd be NO good me A/B ing the amps- I've done this anyway- as I NEED to compare in a gig situation! So I'll keep posting whenever I use the LMII at a big band gig!
    I've seen those VOX's ;-( I still don't think they're any match for an AC30!!!!! ;-)

5. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    And thats a good thing to know. I feel similarly w/ regards to my V4b and my GK 700.