1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Used looper - JamMan or RC20?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kesslari, Aug 16, 2012.

1. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive looper with more capacity than my DL4, ideally one that does well with adding phrases "in time" (I know some of the boss pedals had some delay-offset from when you clicked the pedal until when it started recording), and with the ability to switch sections so that I can record an A part and B part and switch between them. The ability to delete the last phrase added is also important.
    I think both of these (RC20 and JamMan) will do this.
    Is that right?

Anyone have a strong preference for either, and if so, why?

2. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    Guess this just isn't a smexy question...

3. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've used both, and I'd say for the most part they are about the same. The newer JamMans have 4 switches rather than the boss's 2 so I'd say that makes it a bit more user friendly.

The JamMan is always synced to a metronome AFAIK and will give you a measure before it starts recording. I actually don't know if you can turn that function off, I never tried. I think sound quality is about the same for both.

You can record overdubs easily with either and delete (only) the last overdub easily enough. The JamMan has a software interface too so you can load on loops you've made.

On the whole they are not that different.

(Full disclosure I have a Jamman for sale :D)

4. enjoi1018

enjoi1018 Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Auburn, AL
    Also had both. I could rave on and on, but it came down to the Boss holding 12 loops that you must bend down and turn knobs to access.

The JamMan has 199, accessible with yo' feets!

5. Edge to the JamMan from me as well. If you need hands free operation in that price range, it's almost no contest.

6. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

+ 1 for JamMan from me also.

The JamMan does have an edge over the Boss in terms of storage capacity and quality of sound is equal. I have the Solo version and like it very much, easier to use than a Boss RC-3 I had for a couple of months (no fault found on the Boss unit). My only preoccupation is the switching system's quality on the Solo... not quite as sturdy as I'd like to see it. Should I change units, I would try the Stereo version because of those switches, among other things. It's a bit bigger and requires its own adapter, but I still think its worth it. All IMO of course.

7. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    Thanks, all.

8. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    Just picked up a JamMan. It'll be 4 weeks before I can use it (I'm in a neck brace and can't look down). But I'm looking forward to playing with it and taking my looping back up.