Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

used MIA fender deluxe jazz V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by soholounge, Dec 29, 2005.

1. soholounge

soholounge

Aug 11, 2004
    Colorado
    hey all,
    hope you're having a peaceful and blessed holiday season.

i'm looking to buy a used MIA deluxe Jazz V but have a question about string spacing. (wide is very important to me)

i know that recent models are wide (3/4", 19mm) spacing.

but i've seen lots of people complain about narrow string spacing on their jazz V's.

so, my question is:
    when (approximately) did fender start making their 5 stringers with wide spacing?

i guess ideally, i'm hoping to find a recent year used one, but i've seen some older models online, and i'm wary of the narrow spacing ones...

thanks~

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I don't think the Jazz 5'rs have 'wide' string spacing but they do keep the standard string spacing that are on the 4 strings. Definitely not narrow string spacing!

3. ^ this is correct.
    i once owned a Fender Jazz Deluxe V, mim. it was a very nice bass, for the money. ($300, used). :cool:

p.s. sold it 2 years later for the same $300. try that with an Ibanez. lol jk

4. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I owned one. I have what might be considered small hands. The spacing for me was very very comfortable at the bridge and at the 1st fret.

I now have an L2500 G&L. At the bridge, the spacing is equally comfortable as the Jazz V. At the 1st fret, I prefer the Fender; the G&L is a bit narrow. I happen to prefer the sound of the G&L, though and the difference in the spacing is not a big deal for me.

5. soholounge

soholounge

Aug 11, 2004
    Colorado
    thanks for the info people...

but does anybody have a ball park estimate of what year fender made the switch to wider string spacing?

that info would help me, as i scour the web for deals on used older model MIA jazz V models.

i guess i could send fender an email... don't know how responsive they'd be...
    but i'm sure someone here has some knowledge/insight they can drop...

thanks~

6. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    MIAs have adjustable string spacing by adding several string grooves on each saddle allowing you to go from narrow to wide. I think you can get 19mm (or close anyway) by setting the strings in the farthest outside saddles. I replaced my MIA5 bridge with a Badass V but from what I remember when I had the stock bridge on it...I could get pretty wide string spacing.

7. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Quite, I've adjusted mine to the widest and can get 18.5mm spacing

8. soholounge

soholounge

Aug 11, 2004
    Colorado
    cool feature. what model year do you have?

9. soholounge

soholounge

Aug 11, 2004
    Colorado
    thanks for the info...
    is the neck wide enough at the 22nd fret for the Badass bridge?
    don't the strings ride too close to the edge of the fingerboard?

10. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The neck is plenty wide. No the strings aren't close to the edge at all...in fact the spacing at the 22nd fret is perfectly playable/comfortable.

There really was nothing wrong with the stock bridge...I just happen to like badass bridges.