1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

used mim fender jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by himluis1, Oct 8, 2013.

1. himluis1

himluis1

Sep 28, 2012
    Florida
    i bought a used but in good condition fender j bass , mim .. was wondering what to look for , to really know if the bass is really in good conditions , other than paint , finish , i know the neck n stuff , but the only thing i really notice was one of the neck plate screws was a bit loose , pg was still with plastic and all , bought it from a 16 year old kid that said he never played the bass other than inside of his room , no gigs , no church ... and i just want to make sure what to look for , should i take it to sam ash , gc or something like that ?? go easy please i know how to.play bass not how to do the proper maintenance like intonation , pickup high and all that , thanks

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
  3. You could take it to a guitar technician and ask him/her to look it over and give it a proper set-up and intonation.

If you don't know a reputable guitar tech near you, ask other musicians you know locally.

1. You can look down the neck from both the headstock end and the body end to look for curvature of the neck and neck twisting.

2. Do the tuners hold the strings in tune?

3. Do the pickups give a clear signal? Do the potentiometers work smoothly when you adjust them while plugged in?

4. Is the action to your liking? Do the strings line up evenly over the pickup magnets and on the neck itself (My MIM Jazz does not line up well)?

4. Good advice too from 3234718. Setting the intonation, slight truss rod tweaking, adjusting pickup height, string height not all that difficult.

An experienced tech can do all this, perhaps to finer results; but a bassist should learn how to do simple adjustments. If you already have a working bass, why not try?

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    When I first started doing my own setups I was so worried about breaking something. It's possible, but it takes a lot of effort to mess up a bass. Now guitar setups, that seems like a pain in the butt with those skinny little strings and tiny saddles.