1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

used MM Stingrays

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by parksung, Apr 21, 2009.

1. parksung

parksung

Sep 2, 2007
    I know somoene selling their Stingray, no issues, for CAD800. Is that a fair price?

This will actually be my first real bass since starting to learn last month! It may be a big jump for a first bass, but I want something that feels & sounds good without having to upgrade soon after getting a cheap one.

I've played a Sterling and it felt good but was CAD1300. I've also played a Squier '51 reissue P-bass and it felt like plastic! Would like something a little in between.

How would you characterize Stingrays vs. Fender P-basses or Sterlings? All I've read so far is that Stingrays are 'bolder' than Sterlings.

2. jump on it. Great bass, good price.
    Stingray would be between a p and a sterling. It has a little more warmth than the Sterling, but not as much as a P bass. It will have the distinctive Stingray growl. Best way to know is always to try the bass.

3. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    i say thats a pretty good deal

4. chaunceytoben

chaunceytoben

May 29, 2007
    Detroit, MI
    As long as the bass is in good shape, thats a good deal. In terms of tone, the ray is going to be a little darker sounding than the sterling, but nowhere close to the warmth of a P. Its neck, however, is going to be close to a P, while the sterling's neck is thinner.

5. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    That is a great price, particularly if there are no issues and it is in excellent or even very good condition. Jump on it- you won't regret it. Even if you do regret it, you can turn around and sell it for at least that much.

Stingrays have more low mid presence than sterlings (which are more mid centered). Both have the Music Man "bite"- that zinging sound that comes from the preamp and the pickup placement. Neither is as warm as a P, but that's not why you get one- you get it to have a pronounced punch and growl that is really it's own sound. Listen to "Another One Bites the Dust" by Queen, RATM's first album, "46 & 2" by Tool, or any King Crimson with Tony Levin to get an idea what they sound like.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Fair price. Jump on it.

7. boogie8008

boogie8008

Nov 18, 2008
    Denver CO
    buy it

8. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    StingRays are great. Easily as good an instrument as a Precision or Jazz Bass, but in a different way. And they hold their value very well.

9. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    you will not regret buying a Stingray!

10. Thats a good price. Heck, they are ~£800 used over here, which isn't far off double what you are paying! Go for it!

11. My 'ray remains my best bass purchase since I started playing, and that's a friggin steal for one.

12. parksung

parksung

Sep 2, 2007
    sorry for a dumb question, but is the neck a C, D or what shape?? the seller is firm on CAD800 and i may go take a look at it soon...

13. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    $800 Canadian is a good price if it's in good shape.

The Stingray and Sterling are in the same ballpark in terms of sound. The body is smaller on the Sterling and the neck is narrower (more like a Jazz bass, whereas a Stingray is more like a P-Bass).

A P-Bass is completely different. I like both.

14. I am a fan of the Precission Bass. A very good starting point and a great sounding instrument. I have an old OLP that I love also.For me I just love the look and feel of a Fender Precision Bass. Thanks bass forum for letting an old bassman return to his roots and talk with fellow bassist!
    Mic Nuggette'

15. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    At today's exchange rates, $800 Cdn = $645 USD = one heck of a good deal on a Stingray. They're going $700 - 950 USD on eBay.

Peace,

James

16. I've just bought a used Stingray for 800 euros and for us Europeans that is a great deal. So jump on it!!! Maybe check those frets first because that is an expensive joke :(

17. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    theyre my favorite basses of any kind by far. at 800CAD I would buy one in any condition other than broke in half