1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wanted Used Olive G Weich/Tension Question

Discussion in 'Wanted: Double Basses, Amps, & Accessories' started by garycsloan, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Olive G Weich G

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Evah Perazzi Weich G

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. garycsloan

garycsloan

Sep 17, 2014
    This might be a stretch but I'm specifically looking an Olive G Weich that is at least worn in to try with my set on it's last legs before I get new ones. I use a Frankenstein set where each string is different, light gauge synthetic G down to heavy steel E/D, and I was pretty happy with an Evah Weich G but compared to the Evah Mittel D I still found the tension to be higher. I've used an Olive Mittel G before and think it will work well in my set but can anyone tell me how the tension of the Olive and Evah Weich G's compare?

I do everything from Dixieland to modern jazz, plenty of bowing and slapping, in the unforgiving high altitude desert climate of Denver where the day to day temperature swings can cause pretty significant changes in tension on my particular bass so I need a synthetic core to help lessen that and the light gauge to make sure the G never gets too tight. I'm open to other suggestions as well

2. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    I would post this in the strings section. But my quick opinion is that you should try an evah medium G next to that Evah D, and maybe try playing a full set of something for a bit.

3. garycsloan

garycsloan

Sep 17, 2014
    I used to play all Evah mediums and found the G too tight and the E too loose on my bass in this climate, hence the experimentation that brought me to 4 different strings. Is there a synthetic, gut, or synthetic gut core G string with lower tension you would recommend? Especially in the winter time here steel core strings can vary greatly from day to day and sometimes room to room which is manageable on the low strings but not the high strings. If you're curious I'm using Evah Weich G, Evah Mittel D, Spiro Mittel A, and Helicore Stark E (I prefer the Spiro Stark in tone but I use the Hipshot Bass XTender drop tuner, the Spiro goes down to C# whereas the Helicore will drop to C when I need it)

4. Maple

Maple Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I’m at sea level but have had similar string setups. After trying a setup with Oliv/Evah/Spiro, I ended up with Oliv G with velvet animas for the rest and really love it. The velvets are pretty stable. The Oliv changes with temperatures