1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Used Peavey Firebass 700 + Cabs: Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HubbardsFate, May 7, 2015.

1. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Hello Takkbassers,

Just wanting some thoughts/opinions on this rig:

Bass cabs and head | amps, pedals | Prince George | Kijiji

First let me say, no, I don't really need a new (or in this case used) rig. I am pretty much a bedroom bassist at the moment, it's been a long time since I have jammed with anyone, and am not really looking for a jam/band/gig situation as it stands.

Having said that, I am always on the lookout for decent gear, and I am pretty sure this particular Peavey rig is USA made (and yes, I am a fan of Peavey gear in general, but especially the USA-made stuff...recently bought/received a 6-string Cirrus from a member of this site.) And who knows...I could someday soon decide to take things "beyond the bedroom" (and/or go into midlife crisis mode) and look for some people to play with. In all likelihood, the TC Electronic combo I have would likely serve me in most settings, but...?

Anyways, has anyone owned this particular head and/or these cabs? If so, some thoughts/opinions would be appreciated...

P.S. The guy is asking $700 Canadian which, as of the time of this post, converts to $578.47 USD. Since I'm pretty sure most members of this site are American, just thought I'd throw that out there so that you can offer your thoughts on the price if you want to...:D

2. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I at one time had a Peavey firebass 700 and the 412 cabinet ..... the amp has a contour control which will really alter your tone/sound, can't remember which way to put it, but you will have all the volume you'll need for clubs, the 412 cabinet is very heavy and a dark sounding cabinet, but for the price, not a bad deal if everything works, go for it

shawshank72 likes this.
  3. HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    :)

4. strictlybass_ic

strictlybass_ic Mediocrity is a journey

Jan 9, 2014
    Northern Indiana
    Didn't dig into the specs, but I'd be a bit worried about the 115. If he's been running them together at high volume for years then it has likely taken a lot of abuse. Make sure you check it out without the 410 when you buy to make sure it isn't a lemon. Similarly, if you do get it and decide to run both cabs together keep your ear open for signs of distress from that 15.

It'll likely be heavy as heck to move around (older Peavey gear is stout), but it's a lot of firepower for not a lot of cash. If you like the sound of it and are willing to do the schlep then it seems like a good enough deal to me.

5. HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    Thanks for the thoughts. I have already pretty much decided not to look into this rig any further. There is a local Long & McQuade that carries Traynor gear; I'm leaning more towards a tube amp anyways, so I think I'll be checking out what they have. Hell, I might go completely nuts and even start piecing together a rack for the first time in my life...:D

6. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Played the firebass through the 4x12 back in the day.
    Wasn't very impressed.