Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

used Pedulla buzz pricing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Drone, Apr 8, 2001.

1. At a nearby music store, the salesman is willing to sell me a white pedulla 4 string buzz for $1020.00. There is a little bit of wear on the fingerboard, there are a couple of dents, and a knob is missing. It's got barts, and everything else seems to work perfectly. I know that pedulla charges 200-300$ for a fingerboard job. What kind of deal is this for this bass?

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If it's a solid-coat Series II, I'd talk him down to at least $800. I think these were made in Japan for a short while during the early 90s.

If it's not a Series II, that might be considered a fair price, if the wear isn't too noticeable.

3. as a pedulla owner i think that is to high
    i didn't know they were made in japan at anytime, if thats true i wouldn't spend even 800 for it.

i bought mine brand new for what you might pay for a used one, mine had two small chips on the headstock and that was it. if its missing a knob i would think the last owner didn't take good care of it.

get the serial number off of it and contact pedulla
    i have delt with them before and they were nice enough. www.pedulla.com

good luck

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

gruffpuppy, the Series II was Pedulla's attempt to enter the mid priced market back in the late 80's or early 90's. They were made in Japan and had solid color bodies instead of clear colors over figured maple.

I don't think that they ever made a Buzz in that series though.

5. Considering these basses cost over $3,000 new, I would have thought it was a pretty good buy, providing it is not a Japanese one. ( I too, did not know they were ever made there.)
    I have the fretted MVP 4 Amber AAA, and would hope that it’s worth over $1,000.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't know how they do in the UK or in Europe, but in the states Pedulla does not have a real good resale value.

I have seen AAA Buzz' for around $1000 and AAA PentaBuzz' for around $1400.

Great basses, but they just don't hold their value.

Of course, I don't buy basses to resale them, I buy them to keep, so resale value matters very little to me.

And that makes them great bargains if you buy used, as well.:)

7. The particular bass has a solid white finish, the body and the entire neck/headstock too. Does this automatically mean it is the Japanese model? How else can you tell? I will check up on the serial number...The bass doesn't appear to have been babied...For this reason, I think I should get a fairly good deal for it...

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I think, in general Pedulla makes their U.S. basses with a transparent finish, except fot the Rapture series. The series II has a bolt-on neck and slightly less accentuated body shape.

I once saw a used MVP5 in Amber, just like my fretless going for $999 at Guitar Center years ago. I wish I could have afforded it then...

Oops, forgot to mention. Check the back of the headstock to see where the bass was built.

Will C.:cool:

9. PG

PG

Jan 28, 2001
    fwiw, I just bought a pedulla series II and I'm quite happy with it. I'm sure it's not as good as the $3k models, but I like it a lot better than some comparably priced bases like the Warwick Corvette and various G&L's.

btw, back of the headstock says #400 U.S.A. So it doesn't sound like ALL the series II were made in Japan.