Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Used prices for Sunn 300T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by csholtmeier, Sep 14, 2005.

1. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    Having trouble finding the price range for used Sunn 300T's. Anyone have experience buying and selling these things?

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I've seen them go for as low as $500, which is a great deal for such a great head.

3. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I would donate so much blood to pay for a 300T at that price...I've seen them go for $800 on ebay as well

4. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Mine was over $500, BUT it's absolutely mint, and came with cover and footswitch. I like knowing it won't need any work done to get it going, can never be quite sure with a lot of used gear.

5. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    You can expect to pay between 600-800$ for a mint condition SUNN 300T. I have seen them for 800$ lately too.

They are worth every penny.

I just had another gig this last monday and man I was so happy with my Tone !!! Big, round, fat and punchy Bass !!!

Watch out !!!! These are monsters of power too !!!! It will shake the house !

6. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    It is indeed freakin loud, and I'm used to 300+ watt tube amps. Freakin freakin loud.

7. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Loud, yes, but loud and clean, this is the way to describe the SUNN 300T.

8. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Only if you want it to be! With many tube heads volume and breakup go hand in hand, you want loud you can't have clean, but if you want dirt you must crank it all the way up... this one does loud and clean, but also dirty and... well not quiet, but not so loud :cool: . However you want it. Very flexible for a tube amp! It's a cool toy.

9. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I agree. This is a versatile amp. If you want some dirt, simply use the channel 2 and tweak the gain at your desired level of overdrive. It's great and does not need to be loud to get a superb overdriven Tone.

I also use slap tehcniques and it's great ! Yes, very versatile amp.

10. johnbegone

johnbegone

Sep 16, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I bought mine from a fellow TB member, mint condition for somewhere between 650-700, which we both considered a pretty fair price. Definitely worth it, it's an amazing amp. I don't really like the second channel by itself, it's distortion almost sounds like a solid state amp, but if you crank your "clean" channel, you'll get a great grinding tube sound which is top notch. I have no complaints.

-john

11. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    For the distortion, you might want to swap the tubes preamp, maybe some ECC83 JJ tubes would make a difference. I will try them for myself and let you know what I think.