Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Used Q5's Can't find any

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gruuv247, Sep 23, 2002.

1. gruuv247

gruuv247 Guest

Sep 18, 2002
    Burlington, NC
    Have looked on every link I can find, and I can't find any decent used Q5's,(w 18V barts:cool) can anybody help me.:

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    LowDbass.com has a green Q5. Go to Brian Barrett's site, and click on links. The addy is there.

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Keep checking Ebay. They come and go from there on a very regular basis. There are a few on there right now, but I am not sure if any have Barts or not.

4. gruuv247

gruuv247 Guest

Sep 18, 2002
    Burlington, NC
    This might sound cheesey but I'm looking for a Q5 with a clear (or light tint) finish(not to flashy:rolleyes: ), Black hardware and those 18V Barts.

I have my bass on Ebay:( so I need to find a Q5

5. dsmith

dsmith

Mar 29, 2001
    Mt. Vernon, KY
    I know where a very nice red quilt Q5 was a couple of weeks ago, don't know if he sold it or not. No case, but the bass was near mint. I beleive $350.00 shipped was his price. I will check back if your intersted.

6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I'm guessing gruuv247 is looking for a Modulus rather than a Dean. However, in the unlikely case that you're talking about a Modulus, just buy it. One of us will take it off your hands, no problem :) .

7. gruuv247

gruuv247 Guest

Sep 18, 2002
    Burlington, NC
    $350, that would be heaven::p

8. lowfreqguy

lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    I think there is one at www.coolbasses.com. IIRC, good pricing as well. Happy hunting and tell Chris that Adrian(I just bought an MTD 535 from him) sent you.

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    If you are talking Modulus Quantum 5, I will buy it. But, I would guess you are talking about a Dean, as was mentioned before??

10. dsmith

dsmith

Mar 29, 2001
    Mt. Vernon, KY
    Sorry guys, my mistake. I was talking about a Dean, I was wondering why he couldn't find a Q5, they are for sale everywhere, lol.

11. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I recently traded for a Modulus Q5 with the 18 volt Bartolini preamp and pickups. It is a very nice bass. I found mine on bassgear.com.

Chuck

12. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I understand the bartolini desire, but why is the 18v so important over a 9v preamp. Are you not using a preamp in the rack to run the amp?

I run everything at the shop direct into a crest LT series poweramp and into the cabinets.
    Its the best way for someone to hear the instrument with out the coloring of a preamp. Many are suprised and how clear and focus running a bass is this way (being a good sounding bass). Then some don't sound so hot, so it makes you wonder if thats a good place to start the weeding out. Different heads and preamps can really confuse people on how an instrument really sounds.

My point (if I have one :) is that a 9v works perfect, and I'm not sure why 18v is so important? I realize it has alittle more output, but also lends itself to more noise.

just curious and I wish you luck on finding the right madulus!

13. gruuv247

gruuv247 Guest

Sep 18, 2002
    Burlington, NC
    I just like the extra headroom the 18V allows.:cool:

14. gruuv247

gruuv247 Guest

Sep 18, 2002
    Burlington, NC
    I found one in NJ , with a beautiful (natural maple top) but it has EMG's and the owner is dead set on getting $1700 out of it. :mad:

15. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    To get what you want. You might just fine one you like and put bartolini's in it or finding one with bartolini pickups and replacing the 9v for an 18v.

I sure remember seeing a mod with barts and 9v preamp somewhere.................. :)

16. gruuv247

gruuv247 Guest

Sep 18, 2002
    Burlington, NC
    The one I really want has a natural finished burled maple top(with 18V EMG's)and it's absolutely stunning.. Iv'e asked the dealer how much considering I would want him to replace the pups and preamp with Barts (switch with another Q5 in stock)(he's wants me to pay an extra $200:rolleyes: ). But I've talked him down to $2300 (shipping included). Hey you modulus guys out there "is this a good deal?":confused:

17. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Something I wanted to do, but when I asked Modulus they said they are different sizes, so better check that this operation is possible.

18. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    $2300 for a new Q5 sounds like a pretty good deal.

Have you had a chance to A/B the EMG and Bartolini electronics? I have and do prefer the Bartolini's, however, there are some players who like the EMG's better.

Your preferance may also be influenced by the amplification system you are using. As Brian said, all preamps have some color to them and cabinets do as well. I use Demeter and SWR preamps, Stewart power amps and Eden 210 and 410 XLT cabinets. The EMG's sound a bit edgy through my system.

YMMV

Chuck

19. gruuv247

gruuv247 Guest

Sep 18, 2002
    Burlington, NC
    I think your right chuck. I have't tried the full on 18V active EMG's but I did have active EMG's in a fretless jazz I use to own.It sounded great with my old fender BXR60 amp, but plugging it into my SVT it had a little to much edge. I now play through a
    WT-800 (in which Barts sound great through) I'm afraid those (hot) emg'S WILL edge out again accompanied with that EDEN preamp.:cool:

20. gruuv247

gruuv247 Guest

Sep 18, 2002
    Burlington, NC
    I'm trying to talk down that new Q5 to $2200. With electronics switch and shipping.;)