1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Used Sadowsky NYC

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bigtexashonk, Apr 4, 2006.

1. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

I've located a used but almost pristine 1992 NYC locally. It has the small switch to select active/passive modes. They're asking $2999.00.

It's a nice playing bass for sure, but to be honest, there's not that much difference between it and the Metros I've played.

I see I could order a new one from Roger for just a little more $.

What do 'yall think?

2. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    if you can get the exact one you want for a litle more $$ I'd do it. If you already spending 3k whats a little more?

3. Sadowsky also offers a 7 day trial period on new basses.

4. RudeMood

RudeMood Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    The price seems high even for a used Sadowsky. I recently bought a used Metro for around $1700 and it stacks up well to the NYC Sad I had a couple of years ago. I agree that for a little more you could order a new one that is exactly what you wnat and have a trial period.

5. i think its way to much for a used sadowsky thats now 14 years old. You could go either way and spend a little more and get a new NYC or save some cash and get a new Metro. either you'll most likly be happy with any sadowsky, but i think this one is way to much for being used.

i would go new if i were you.

6. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    That is almost what I paid Sadowsky for a used 5-24 with a spalted top and ebony board. IMHO, not a good deal.

Dan K.

7. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Price seems very high, but more details needed to say for sure, e.g.:
    • Is it a 4-string or 5-string?
    • Does it have a pickguard?
    • Does it have an upgraded top or fretboard or any other unique features?
    The age also raises some questions - 1992 certainly puts it well before Roger started putting graphite rods in the necks, and maybe even before he started using a chambered body.

Unless this is something really special, I'd keep an eye on the TB classifieds (and BassGear & Harmony Central) where you ought eventuallyu to be able to pick up an NYC for much less than that. Or else get one made to your specs from Roger for a bit more (or a less customized Metro for a good deal less).

8. bigtexashonk

Thanks very much for the feedback folks. That's exactly what I was thinking. I understand if the shop has too much $ in it and isn't willing to budge, but they'll have to find some pidgeon other than me.

It's a nice bass, but I think I'll just order exactly what I want and be done with it.

TB'ers RULE!!!

9. bigtexashonk

Thanks for the advice. Exactly what I'm thinking.

10. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Way too much for a used NYC. New 4 strings start around $3200. Metros new are around 2K and up. 5 strings a bit more

Rob

11. Is it the sunburst one up at the GC off 635? If so, that one plays nice, but I think it's over priced. It dosen't have the Sad pre in it either. It's a Demeter (sp?). Playability wise, it was nice, but not my fav. ever. Have you ever been to Andersen's Guitar Gallery in Frisco? If not, it's toooootally worth the drive. They are Lakland, Lull, and G&L dealers. They usually have a couple of Skjods. I drive there from Burleson.

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Blasphemy! Whomever did this shall be strung up by their 'nads with piano wire and beaten with SX necks! :eek:

13. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

LOL, Woodchuck!!

Rob

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

What model ?

15. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I paid 2500 for #3830 (pictured in archives) which is a five string, premium top with Gold Hardware, pickguard, and VTC. I had been watching them for a while and though t I got a good deal, a five with a premium top goes for 2700-3200 on the bay. But an older four with a standard top goes for 2000 to 2200 from what I've seen.

16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    LaMarquis Jefferson paid $1800 for the US Sadowsky that he's holding in BP magazine. He got it off of the 'Bay. Afterwards, he tortured me with that damn thing until I got one!

17. dabass

dabass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    NYC
    $2999 asking too much!!! Save $400 or $500 and buy a new one!!

18. polo515

polo515

Feb 27, 2006
    NYC
    Too much $. Check out the Metro's. I'm loving mine.
    Woodchuck, LOL. NYC will love you...

19. bigtexashonk

That's the one. Wow, and not even a Sad preamp. I think GC gave waaaayyyyy too much for it. The story I got is that it belonged to BB King's touring bassist.

Plays nice, but to be honest, I think the Metros I've played sound better - smoother and more responsive.

20. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    Very high price. A little more....you have a new NYC....a little less you have a new Metro. I think the Metros also don't have graphite rods and chambered bodys. You'll be saving around 500 bucks with the metro and add 500 for a "new" NYC.