Used Spector Vs. New Squier VM Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pgolliher, Oct 15, 2013.

1. pgolliher

pgolliher

Apr 27, 2010
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I was really set to pull the trigger on a Squier VM V in olympic white when I came across a used Spector Legend Classic 5 Bubinga with Bartolinis and a Aquilar OBP-3 preamp.

This would be my only 5 string. Not sure if it is for me, been playing 4 strings for 25 years and quite happy with my "main basses" -both Fender Deluxe P-basses. (jazz neck, p/j pick ups)

I really like Fenders, and did the look of the new VM jazz V in white (I would throw on a tort guard and black traditional jazz knobs.

but- for $100 more I could get the Spector. I have to admit, in the Warwick vs. Spector debate, I side with Warwick. I don't love the Bubunga Veneer, but with the pick ups and pre-amp- it seems like it would be crazy to pass up.

and now- I would like to hear your thoughts... Thanks!

2. rstellar13

rstellar13 Sarcastic Panda

Sep 2, 2012
    Allentown, PA
    I loved my spector when i had it, but now i barley touch my fenders

3. Register_To_Disable

4. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Play both. Get the one you like best. Maybe the Squier will feel more familiar to you. Maybe the Spector will surprise you.

5. The Spector sounds really tempting - do you have pics?

You can get a Squier any day.

6. pgolliher

pgolliher

Apr 27, 2010
    Santa Cruz, CA
    No pics yet. I will check it out later today. I haven't played the VM V, just the 4 string version- my take away from it was- good for the price. My reasoning is that the V would be the same and since this is just "sticking my toe- into the pool of 5 strings" I didn't want to spend a lot.

I would guess that the Spector would hold me off for longer if I really liked playing the 5 string.

It just feels impulsive since I have wanted the Squier VM V in white since I first saw a picture of one.... damn GAS - this place is dangerous...

7. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn Supporting Member

For me there is no question, I would take the Spector ...the upgrades alone make it well worth it from your description. I also much prefer the neck profile of the Spector to the VM Jazz 5. And as Solarmist said, you can buy the Squier any time. I own a couple of Squiers, but every VM Jazz 5 I have played felt like a boat anchor around my neck and I REALLY dont like the necks on them.

8. spz8

spz8

Jan 19, 2009
    Glen Cove, NY
    Nothing wrong with a Squier (I have one myself), but the Spector + OBP3 is a no-brainer IMO.

9. The Legend is 10x the bass that the VM Squier is!

10. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    For me, Basses always come down to neck shape. No matter how much I like a bass, if it's a jazz profile, I can't play it. Those basses have very different necks. Personally I would go with the Spector. The Spector is a better deal as well.

11. Thrash3r

Thrash3r

Aug 5, 2013
    I love Spectors but the Legend Classic 5 just didn't do it for me, it didn't have the same quality feel that my Rex had, sounded good but the build quality wasn't really any better than a Squier, personally I'd pick the new Fender Modern Player Jazz over either of them.

12. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I generally prefer a J and think the VMJs are great fpr the coin. I agree with my boy though.

13. That's odd, because the necks on the Rex Pro are the same ones that go on the Legend series.

14. Thrash3r

Thrash3r

Aug 5, 2013
    It's not just neck, besides the Legend is bolt on, Rex is neck-thru, so clearly not the same. Also doesn't the Rex neck have carbon rods in it?

15. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Another vote for Spector. I have four, so far. I have a Fender Jazz Deluxe, but rarely touch it. I prefer my Korean made Legend p/j to it and my Euro simply blows it away. The only down side to Spector is that they tend to multiply (number five will be either a Spectorcore or Zebop...six will be whatever five isn't). My Spector five is a neck through, sounds amazing, but very heavy.

16. EagleMoon

EagleMoon Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Spector. I really like the Legends. I've had several and the neck are really nice on them.

17. jbravo

jbravo Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    True that, I'm looking at my Rex pro right now. ( but I really didn't need to look.) :)

To the OP, have you ever played a fender 5? All I've played have had super- wide necks. I don't know the specs off the top of my head, but the manufacturers sites for both will list them. If your used to jazz necks, you my prefer the Spector. I loved my legend, and it took a Euro4, at three times the price, to make let it go. Admittedly, I have a bit of a Spector bias.....:bassist:

18. pgolliher

pgolliher

Apr 27, 2010
    Santa Cruz, CA
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1381886298.867314.jpg

Pulled the trigger on the Spector. Got it for $400 with a gig bag. The guy was unloading gear to fund a Euro LX. Such a good deal- couldn't pass it up. Marcus Miller DRs on it- I will want to go medium lights- the sad part is that I have a gig on Friday and will need to get my chops up on my four string before then...next week I will dive in to the 5er

19. Oh man. You may have just taken the red pill. Welcome to wonderland. :bag:

20. Not all Legends are bolt on. There are set neck as well. The newer Rex is a bolt-on.

And, no. No Carbon rods in the Import Rex.

21. maxiegrant

maxiegrant Bassist in Transition

Nov 26, 2007
    Sellersburg, IN
    Just got me a Legend Custom 5 myself. I also have a Squier Jazz V in Olympic White, as it happens, and trust me you did the right thing. The Spector has a growl like a 20-foot-tall tiger.