Used Stingray or New Geddy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by electricJ, Dec 27, 2004.

1. electricJ

Dec 24, 2004
    Evansville, IN
    Played both recently and am still undecided. Loved the sound and feel of both (but can't afford both right now). Which would you guys go with? (just looking for some insight)
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would go with stingray just because i like the isntrument better, but man nice choices, both are great instruments.
  3. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Get the Stingray, then plan on getting a used Geddy within the next six months. As long as you find one with a decent neck you're just as well off getting it used IMO. Plus you might find a nicely modded one on here if you hold out.
  4. Stingray. Too many J-Basses in the world. Heheh. Then again I'm biased :)
  5. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    get the the Geddy. In my experience to pickups are always better than one and the Geddy kicks some serious a$$.
  6. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Id buy a second hand ray, love the tone and feel. Great basses.
    I already have a fender, so thats another insentive to buy a ray.
  7. Jackson E

Jackson E Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2004
    East Nashville, Tn.
    Get the stingray. I like the Geddy Lee but you can never go wrong with a stingray. You can use one for literally everything you could want to play on four strings. (In my humble opinion)
  8. +1

Stingrays are great instrument, and very well built
  9. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    I prefer the Jazz. I had a Ray and couldn't get it to work for me tone wise.
  10. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    If it is a "too good to pass up" deal on the Stingray, then get it. A new Geddy can be had at any time.
  11. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Stingrays are as versatile as those who play them.

Another vote for the 'Ray.
  12. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
  13. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Ray up up and away!

:bag: I'm cool
  14. My thoughts exactly.
  15. As long as the wider neck of the Stingray isn't an issue, I'd tell you to get the 'Ray. Reasons:

1) Better build quality (IMHO)
    2) No single coil hum
    3) Active EQ

Both are good instruments, but if you're sitting on the fence, I'd say get the Stingray.

16. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    ,so can a StingRay,like the Geddy,they're all over the place. however IMHO a good Jazz bass is a good Jazz bass regardless of Getty, Marcus and who ever else has a signature model or not. The Stingray bass is what it is you ither like it or hate it.
  17. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I own both and their both great instruments, try both out and see what u like better based on feel sound and looks. I love my Geddy, But the Stingray owns.
  18. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    The Stingray is well built and good sounding and all, but the pickup placement is too wierd for me; it's really hard to play anywhere but by the bridge (if you play any notes on the bottom string that is). You may or may not think this is an issue, but I would get the Geddy; beautiful, great sound, feels awesome. Then again, if the deal on the Stingray is too good to pass up, then get that. Some prices on used basses don't come around too often, but you can get a new Geddy any time you want...
  19. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    If the prices are similar, get the 'Ray.
  20. electricJ

Dec 24, 2004
    Evansville, IN
    Thanks for the advice guys. I went back the next day to play both again, and decided to go with the Stingray. The one I bought was used from a seller on here as the one I played in the store was a brand new one.