Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Used Stingray & Sterling prices to drop?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigTopBruno, Aug 7, 2005.

1. BigTopBruno

BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    Today I saw new ones for $750 at GC (said they are clearing out for new double pups...)....

$750 is the low end of used ones......can I pick up a used 'Ray for $550 now? :smug:

...thoughts pls....

2. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    wohoooooo good news...maybe a StyngRay in my future brand new at very good cheap price,4 strings for everrrrrrrrr :D

3. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I asked here awhile back, if the new 2 pup sray 5 would mean lower value of my single pup sray 5. One guy here said Nah, if someone wants a 2 pup MM they can just get a Bongo. But some folks are not diggin the Bongo body style and I noticed the for sale ad prices of some used Sray 5ers going below the typical $950-900, to one I saw at $825. I know the colors and neck woods, etc. can affect sale prices too. But like you saw what is happening at GC, I believe the used prices will keep lowering. I traded even my Sray 5 for a Cirrus 6, they were both priced at $950 for sale. So it was a good trade for us both, who were looking for a different bass but not wanting to spend any cash. Maybe I will be able to afford a used sray 5 again down the road.

4. Simball

Simball

Mar 26, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Ouch! I got robbed for the full $1100 on mine. :crying: Oh well, it was the exact one I wanted and it didn't have a single fingerprint on it. I'm willing to bet there will be a few more used rays out there for a little cheaper(maybe closer to the $700 mark.)

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not gonna budge much. The new ones are only going so cheap because of overhead, they want to move them to get in new products, and they get rid of them quick at those prices. If GC's quota is to carry a dozen Music Man basses, it's going to be pretty obvious that about half of them are the new double pickup basses that people are going to want to try or buy.

6. OblivionBass

OblivionBass

Jul 3, 2005
    You think the prices will still be near 700-800 in december if they're still selling?

I'm really hoping so cause that's when i'm allowed to get a new bass.

edit:
    WHen are the new ones coming anyway?

7. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    four to 5 months,in Christhmas time i excpect a introduction inexpensive price,a killer deal price for marketing the new product. :hyper:

8. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    No.

January maybe.

9. OblivionBass

OblivionBass

Jul 3, 2005
    good enough, as long as it drops in winter. then maybe it'll fit my budget :bassist:

10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I have this impression now that GC will just deal anytime when it comes to their gear. Guy at my neck of the sticks was selling me a Sparkle Drive for $99.00 NIB.

11. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Instrument prices generally drop in the summer and rise in the winter. you guys may just be seeing the summer slump.

12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    GC has always been known for blowing out old stock at silly prices. I swear they have no business sense at times.

I really don't think we're going to see much of a drop in used EBMM values - it's not like the new models are going to make the old ones obsolete. Why would someone have bought a SR, Sterling or SR5 before now if they didn't like it?

13. I got my best deal ever in last years Labor Da W.E. Blowout. If your shopping for anything I would check it out.

14. Yeah, it's all about right place, right time. Kinda hard to judge average values of gear by GC clearances, cause sometimes they just sell stuff super cheap.

15. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I'm sure they will probably drop a bit, but not a bunch. The used market will be flooded with both older single pu models ('cause I'm sure a ton of us will get new ones now) and a few that buy the new ones that need to sell 'em when the wife finds out... a saturated market always lowers the price, but I can't believe the bottom will drop out. It's not like they're pointy flourescent BC Rich basses and the 80's are almost over...

16. that's interesting. i never knew that. can you tell me why?

17. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    One other thing I think I've heard is that overall production numbers won't increase.

Figure that into your supply and demand equations.

18. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    People do outdoor stuff in the summer (ex. vacations). The same situation for stereos and TVs - more are sold in the winter so the prices rise.