1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Used stingray V: any years to avoid? Also considering Fender Deluxe Jazz 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by James_E, Oct 3, 2008.

1. James_E

James_E

Jan 26, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/msg/844226600.html

I've asked for more details on this bass from the seller. Been on sale for a while so I might be able to get a good deal.

Anything specific I should ask? Any serial number ranges to avoid? This one is:E10760, and he said he bought it 7 years ago.

I'm also looking at this:

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/drh/msg/853255386.html

Thoughts? I know most of the decision will be up to me after I play these things, but any tips from experts here would help.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Ernie Ball/ Music Man is very consistent, just check for normal wear and tear. Fender Jazz Deluxe V's are great too. You will be happy either way.;)

3. BassScum

BassScum

May 1, 2008
    So Cal
    My Stingray (although a 4) is the same age and color as the one your looking at and I love it. I've gone through a few basses and it's still my #1. Also, I may be wrong but I thought all Stingrays came with a musicman hardshell case and not a gig bag which the seller is offering. My Stingray did. It might not really matter.
    Just sayin.

4. mat666

mat666

Apr 3, 2007
    montreal
    it seems to be a good deal - purchased mine brand new in 1999 and still in perfect shape Picture 025-1.JPG

5. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    New York and Philadelphia
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    Only need to be aware that from 1987 to around 1992 the pickups were ALNICO...after that..the magnets were ceramic. They switched back to Alnico this year...others may chime in on the exact year of the changeover.

6. mdiddium

mdiddium

Jun 21, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Looks like that is probably a '99.

FWIW, I have a '93 that looks very much like that one (except mine is all black, guard and all). I love that bass to death and will always have it, no matter what changes my tastes may go through. I bought mine used around 8 years ago, and it just has a wonderful "worn in" feeling.

In fact, a friend of mine played it once and compared it to an old pair of tennis shoes, except a pair that didn't fit him, since it wasn't his taste.

I personally like this era of SR5's very much (I've played some newer models that I didn't care for - not that the quality wasn't good, they just felt different). Mine has a birds-eye map neck that is a dream to play - I can't tell from the pictures if this one has it or not.

This is all to say that yes, Ernie Ball's QC is top notch, and you will immediately know if this bass is your cup of tea or not.

7. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    IMO there are some years that StingRays were especially nice (like mdiddium said, '93 comes to mind). But overall Ernie Ball puts out a consistently great product year after year.

Unless something is structurally wrong with the instrument you're looking at, I wouldn't be concerned about it based on the year it was built.

Good luck - hope it works out for you! :)

8. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

FWIW, the Jazz seller is on crack. The resale of Jazz V basses is brutal. You will be able to find a great used one for $600-800. $1200 is way to high IMO.

Having said that, I like the SR5 more than the Fender.

I recently sold my SR5 (a 2006) and two MIA Jazz V's (a 1993 and 1997) but the SR5 was definately better made than the Fenders.

9. James_E

James_E

Jan 26, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    The jazz was already gone.

I went to a couple stores today (been doing that for a while now... playing stuff.) Decided I really don't want a 5 er right now so that Ray 5 was not something I was going to go for.

After playing a few more today, I ended up walking out with a Black on black Stingray 4 from the store. I was really really wanting to like a Fender MIA jazz or P better, to save a couple $100. So I kept trying and retrying.., and trying other brands too like Ibanez and Yamaha.. and even an MTD. But for me, the Ray eventually won over.