Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Used string forum!

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by tplyons, Feb 6, 2004.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Hope this isn't considered SPAM as it helps everyone and I don't profit a dime from it!

Basically, I can't afford strings for electric or upright bass, and an old thread at the Dudepit spawned an idea for me, start a forum dedicated to trading new and used strings, and I finally did it.

http://www.leuchtnet.com/strings/

And don't worry, there's a double bass section.

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    The URL didn't work here.
    Is there a typo?

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Ugh. What's next, a used chapstick forum?* :spit:

*(j/k! :D)

4. I know you were joking Chris, but I've wondered about this whole used string thing ever since I first saw it on this forum. My experience has been that the wrapping on the string gets flattened in the area where it crosses the bridge and sometimes at the nut. Unless you were to have a bass that (by sheer luck) had that tailpiece afterlength and the string length exactly the same as the one the where the string formerly resided, odds are that the string is going to be false on the "new" bass. The next time you change strings, take a look at the area of the string where it crossed the bridge with a magnifying glass and you will see what I am talking about.

*(j/k! :D)[/QUOTE]

5. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    [/QUOTE]

6. A false string is a false string regardless of who is using it. I don't buy the argument that "it's good enough for a student". A student or newbie needs all the help they can get and a false or dead string isn't going to help them in the long run. IMO, the best use for a used string is to keep it in your bag as a backup in case the one you replaced it with breaks (until you can get a new one). Using a previously used string from another bass is false economy.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    No typo, should work.

8. Have to agree. I tried used Obligatos. This will help someone develope a GENERAL idea of the sound , i would not recommend this. Noble Intent.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The greatest intent for this was for bass guitarists looking to try something new. Sure they won't sound perfect, but they give you a pretty good idea before dropping $40-50 on a set of strings.