Used Stringrays

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mattmcnewf, Sep 12, 2004.

1. mattmcnewf

May 27, 2004
    Two questions.
    1. How much would it cost to get a used stingray on ebay.
    2. If i can get one used why would anyone buy one new
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    1. $500 - $800
    2. Some people like to have their instruments flawless, and some people dont trust ebay. Sometimes dealers arent 100% honest. Also people sometimes like to play the instrument before they buy it.
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Not to mention eBay has no warranty or real return policy.
  4. kjr

Jan 25, 2003
  5. flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    Basscentral IS a good place to get a Stingray but you'll pay around $900 for one, typically. I bought 2 off of Ebay, both in excellent condition for $800. You can usually expect to pay $700-800 on Ebay for a Ray in good condition.

One thing nice about buying a Stingray off of Ebay is that Ernie Ball is really consistent in quality and you can expect that you'll get a great bass w/o actually playing it first. I personally wouldn't buy a Fender bass w/o playing it first but I have no problem buying an EB Ray w/o playing.
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Tis a good point. The quality control on Rays is some of the best.
  7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've purchased FIVE used stingray5's from Ebay, never a problem, all of them consistent in high quality, though the woods of each sounded slightly different to my discriminating ear . . .
  8. mattmcnewf

May 27, 2004
    What do u mean by dishonest People. Could i get a bent neck or something, or do u mean dings. I don't care about appearence.
  9. bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Rating the condition of an instrument is a very subjective area. What I call "mint", you might call "heavily abused". And yes, it's well known that some dealers, and also some private sellers, are very "complimentary" ;) in their evaluations of their used gear.

If you get a seller, be it a dealer or someone private, who'll agree to a reasonable inspection period (usually 48 hours from delivery), you can feel a lot more confident in the deal. But at end of the day, there's no real assurances on Ebay, as you're really at the mercy of the person you're dealing with.
  10. I'd rather play any instrument before I buy, but if a new instrument has a good return policy, then It wouldn't bother me that much.

For used, I'd almost insist that I play it first. If that's not possible due to where you live, I'd go with Bass Central. ;)

11. Keentwist

Mar 22, 2004
    There's usually a couple a week posted on Talk Bass classifieds. I would go there first before the 'Bay
  12. mattmcnewf

May 27, 2004
    isn't ebay more safe than forums with frawd. Its also highly unleiky i will get to play one used. I know of only 2 withing a 6 hour drive and neither owner will sell
  13. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I have a very nice Ray 4 for sale in the "for sale" section. You should take a look! - Ooooh, too bad. Someone else jumped on it.
  14. rugrat

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois
    I will have a Ex. condition 5 that will be posted soon.
  15. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ebay is technically more legally binding than forums but if you have been on TB a while and so have they, im sure you trust each other. Ive dealt with a few people on TB and everything has gone well. Currently am selling a neck to someone on here and he even payed me almost a week before i am going to get to ship the neck.
  16. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    i just tried a Stingray today and I must say its my favorite bass now, I know what Ill be looking for on ebay for the holidays.
  17. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Stingrays can be had commonly for around $750-850, you'll get the occasional deal at about $700 or less, much less if you don't mind a few dings.

And for the people who buy them new, some just like to break in the instrument themselves, and others want the factory warranty, knowing that the store you bought it from will help you out in an emergency, and that overall sense of virginity.

I, personally went for the middle route, used Ray from my favorite store for $700 with case, two complimentary setups, and of course, the fact that I can trust these folks with my babies.
  18. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    The only places around Mass that Im familiar with that sell rays is guitar center, Ive never seen a good one in a pawn shop or a local music store.
  19. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Do a completed items search on Ebay....

That will tell you what they're going for.