1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Used SVT-VR sold for more than new price

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GregC, Jun 11, 2007.

1. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
  2. ko stradivarius

ko stradivarius

Aug 14, 2006
    St. Louis
    I think some people on ebay will buy just for that "rush". I dunno, maybe they wanted "that" one.???
    Its amazing how many people don't do their home work first though.
    On that note....I better find out how much my '79 p-bass with an "A" neck is worth before I sell it. :)

3. GregC

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
  4. LOL, I paid just a fraction for my brand new VR... That's ridiculous... But hey, if there's someone willing to pay it...

5. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I think that is showing the value of a USA produced SVT-VR against the asian made version.

:smug:

6. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Are they currently not available? Maybe he really needed it... or they just got caught up in bidding.

7. GregC

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I wonder if anyone has even bought/played through an Asian-built version yet.

8. I'm watching the price of SVP-Pro go up on eBay, now that they are an out-of-production item.

Same as a '68 Jazz bass, it will no doubt sell for more than it brought new...

9. CBBass123

CBBass123

Oct 18, 2005
    Texas
    i'm assuming they might be making use of their paypal credit with no other options to buy this head new from manu or online stores...its interesting..:eyebrow:

10. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Yeah, it sure looks like the vallue of American made Ampeg products is on the rise. That's a good thing and show the value of quality, well built equipment.

11. GregC

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
  12. GregC

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Well, here's another used VR that sold for more than street.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150154824124&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005

Apparently, the hype over US-made models--rightly or wrongly, I'm not taking sides--is keeping prices up. But this seller even had thhe stones to say the following: "Please be aware that these are no longer being made in the USA so this is a very rare Amp as their Chinese couterparts are not at all the same !"

I don't want to start a flame fest, but somehow I don't think the Chinese version uses completely different parts.:rolleyes: Now, if someone has actually purchased and/or used a Chinese-made VR, I'd be interested in your experience.:)

13. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Well, they weren't going to, but now they may.

What I DO know:

For instance: The asian built VR and CL are almost certainly going to use an asian-built output transformer. All US made ones have been made by the same company who made the originals. Very recently a new company was involved, due to corporate merger problems. I don't know if they were in product, but I do know their stuff was very thoroughly checked out before any usage.

There was a big push on to get an asian one approved prior to the "Ampeg massacre", at which point all the folks who were detail checking asian produced units and samples for correctness were let go.

Unfortunately, there was quite a bit of trouble with getting an acceptable output transformer. I THINK it was settled for the first asian run by sourcing the transformer here, and shipping it over. Quite a few parts were handled that way. Naturally, the price was not appreciated by the bean counters.

But, that would leave the status of the Asian one in doubt. Some samples were pretty bad, there could be some real "issues". I am not sure if a good one was ever approved, and if it was, whether the chinese will use that one. They typically like to use their own vendors and get the part approved.

So, there is a substantial risk that the continuing production pf asian made VR and CL may in fact have some not-so-good audible differences from the US made, and possibly the first run of Vietnam units, if they were shipped before Loud became disenchanted with Vietnam.

Since there are no technical and engineering folks left to do approvals, I don't know what is going to happen with the chinese "high-end" Ampeg stuff. The one guy who is left doing Ampeg QC is neither an engineer nor a player, and will have his hands full unless Loud calls back some folks to help.

Bottom line is that I am, unfortunately, not at all sure that the guy who was hyping the unit is full of it.... there may be all too much truth to what he says. (Or not, if Loud decides to try hard............).

14. I was lucky... hell yeah... Hey Jerrold, do you know how many units of this amp were made in the US?

15. GregC

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Jerrold, thanks for the information, that's very interesting stuff.:) I'll be watching to see how this all shakes out. I guess the proof, as they say, will be in the pudding.

16. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I picked up a brand new SVT-VR, Made in the USA, a few weeks back at a local music store, for $1700 + tax. I feared I'd have to pay $2000+ to find a USA model, but I happened upon this one, and I've loved it ever since.

17. I bought mine, in México, brand new, USA model, cheaper that what I saw they were charging at them in my last trip to the US...

:D

and, knowing how an import can make the price go waaaay up, I'm just smiling a lot...

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021