1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

used SWR Workingman advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by quail, Aug 27, 2007.

1. quail

quail

Aug 4, 2007
    I put a fully refundable 30 day deposit down on an SWR Workingman 4x10 cab that is maybe two years old and in MINT condition...

anyone one have any good experience with this or any advice?

Im looking for something cheap to get me by for a while as my combo just will not keep up with a set of drums... is this my ticket? ill be able to pick it up for 239 total... not a bad deal i dont think from a guitar center...

is a cab worth paying for a one year protection plan?

I played the cab through a used ampeg b2r head for a similar price I am also considering picking up... playing an ibanez soundgear with active preamp and bartolini's through the amp without the 10 decibel pad switched on ( i kept the gain low around 3.5 to 4 or maybe 11 o clock)
    The sound had some serious growl the cabinet stayed nice and tight had great note definition and the fifth fret A on the low E string had some serious balls... I was very impressed... had i not played this i probably would have gone with a gallien krueger goldline 4x10

What do you all wiser more experenced players think? good buy or get my money back?

2. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    The cab is a fine choice. I used to own one, and went on to a Megoliath and Bergantino cabs, and I had no complaints about it while I used it. Not sure about a 1 year protection plan though, depends how expensive the plan is, and what is covered. As for the cab, at under 250.00$, it is a very decent deal.

3. dogbass

dogbass

Aug 9, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    From what I've read re. the Goldline series, the WM410 is a much better way to go. I've had one for a couple years and its road worn and battered and still sounds fine. Its a very nice, punchy cab, pretty well constructed. IMO, ditch the warranty unless it makes you sleep better. As long as you don't throw it off the back of a truck or run it full out with a 1000watt head you should get years of service out of it. I've seen these used run anywhere from $150 to $300, so if you get one in mint cond for $239, seems reasonable.

4. quail

quail

Aug 4, 2007
    my other question would be if i were to run a second cab ... a 210 of a single 15 with a workingman... right now im looking at some carvin gear since the workingman is no longer made... will i have poor results mixing brands or do a lot of folks do this? i like the idea of 6 tens but dont have any means to transport a single cabinet that size... the carvin example though is also a 4 ohm cab and the swr an 8 ... what happens to my impedance if i run two different impedances together?

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Not a good idea to mismatch the cabs impedence. Although with a SS amp, you'd probably do little harm, in the long run you want the cabs to match the amps output, ie: if the amp wants to push a 4 or 8 ohm load, your cabs should match that.

6. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    You said the WM 4x10 is 8 ohms. Do not use a 4 ohm 2x10 as twice as much power will be sent to the cab with half the speakers.

I used my 8 ohm WM4x10 with a 8 ohm 1x18 big ben cab with great results.

You can absolutely mismatch cab impedance, but you have to calculate. example : a 4 ohm 4x10 with a 8 ohm 2x10 into a 600 watt amp. Twice as much power to the 4x10 (lower resistance), so 400 watts to the 4x10 and 200 watts to the 2x10, or if you like better, 100 watts to each speaker.

As for mix and match of brands, for SWR speakers, SWR heads, Genz Benz, and Gallien K are all very good matches.

7. quail

quail

Aug 4, 2007
    i was looking at a carvin head that claims to be 2 ohm stable i would have liked one of their 2x10s but it is 4 ohms and that is out... who makes 8 ohm 2x10s that are respectable but not super expensive...the only 15 the gc guys could reccommend me was an ampeg and i dont really want to go there

8. quail

quail

Aug 4, 2007
    i kind of like the GK goldlines their 2x10 is 8 ohms and also found the same lne has an 8 ohm 15... what will it sound like with a 4x10 and a 2x10 both at 8 ohms... ill get a 4 ohm load but won't this make the 2x10 play louder per speaker?

I want to add a cab to get better power from the head ...4 ohms power will be much nicer than 8 ohms... itll give me much more head room... if only the 4x10 was 4 ohms =\

9. quail

quail

Aug 4, 2007
    and also i called carvin and asked what would happen if i ran a 4 ohm 2x10 with an 8 ohm 4x10 and the kid told me i would get a 4 ohm load... and i said wouldnt it be lower and he said no it would be so close it would basically be 4 ohms... kinda makes me second guess about buying from them

10. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    One possibility would be to get the WM410 for now, I believe rated at 400 watts, and get another high powered 2x10 at 8 ohms, like maybee a goliath jr, that will match well with the WM.

As for power, you are right, but remember that you only add 3db of sound pressure level when you double the wattage. So a 400 watt head won't sound twice as loud as a 200 watt same exact head, but 3 dB's more.

11. quail

quail

Aug 4, 2007
    right 3 decibels is a lot of decibels though doesnt sound like it but its dramatic

12. quail

quail

Aug 4, 2007
    what happens now if i add an 8 ohm 210 to my 8 ohm 410 ... i know ill get a 4 ohm load but will my 210 speakers be getting more power per speaker...working harder... than my 410? will this sound bad?

13. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    If both cabs are 8 ohms, they both have the same resistance per cab, so half the power will go to one, and half to the other. If you use cabs from the same series (ex : workingman's), this MIGHT be problematic, but maybee not, as the 410 will be getting as much power as the 210. Therefore, the 210 will be getting more power per speaker. Now some companies actually wire 6x10 cabs this way to get a total rating of 4 ohms. One notable exeption would be Bergantino who uses 24 ohm speakers.

14. quail

quail

Aug 4, 2007
    so im pretty much beat if i want to add a second cab?

15. quail

quail

Aug 4, 2007
    bump

16. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

The kid failed algebra in high school, it seems.
    2.67 ohms is the answer.

17. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Adding a second 4x10 will allow you to crack foundations
    up to 50 feet away. You might consider a 1x15 or 2 x12.
    All of it is overkill. The Swr cab with a good amp will keep up
    with anything except a 747 at takeoff.

18. quail

quail

Aug 4, 2007
    haha i kind of was hopin for an avatar 210 with it bu maybe a 15 instead dunno i wanted the fast response of 10's

19. quail

quail

Aug 4, 2007
    ttt

20. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    Your cab is in better condition for the same $$ as the one I got a while back from the sound of it (Wkmn's 4x10). Mine was a real trooper at gigs with zero problems and when I got a Corolla and couldn't haul it anymore, I got a pair of Wkmn's 2x10's. Now I have a similar setup, but it runs at 4 ohms - both 2x10's are 8 ohm cabs.

I think that the SWR should serve you quite well despite its 8 ohm resistance, but if you're worried about getting down to 4 ohms, shop around and see what's out there. Pretty sure Carvin makes 4 ohm 4x10's, but they're not the only ones.