1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Used the BFM S15 for the first time on a gig tonight.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ampslut, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    As many of you may know I've been building a BFM S15 w/3015 over the last month or so. Tonight I got a chance to play it at a little bar we work at. I've been using an Ampeg Pf500->Hartke 115XL. Tonight I used the PF-500->the S15. The BFM is a good 25 lbs lighter and at least 3db more efficient. Tone is a bit more focused and every bit as deep. It will be my go to cab from this point on.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I always wonder whether he's brilliant or crazy or both. Glad to hear sounds like it works!

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Gig pics?

Come on now!

deathness likes this.
  4. deathness

deathness

Jan 19, 2015
    BKLYN
    @Stumbo beat me to it: pics or it didnt happen

5. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I really enjoyed my BFM cabs. Great stuff.

6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The "S" is Simplexx, correct? If so, did you build the sealed or ported version?

Riis

jaysbass2002 likes this.
  7. byacey

byacey

May 16, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    Bill Fitzmaurice isn't crazy. Pretty much everything he advocates is based on solid engineering and design theory. Unfortunately for decades there has been a black magic / voodoo pseudo science in the audio industry perpetuated by those that have no clue what they are talking about. It's just another example of the old "baffle them with BS" scenario. Fitzmaurice has just called out many of these echoes for what they are, and pushed all the BS aside.

My experience with his designs is that they pretty much do what he claims. I've built some of the T48 subs, some horn loaded monitor wedges, and the 212 bass reflex cab. I have no complaints.

bholder, seamonkey and jaysbass2002 like this.
  8. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Also unfortunately, "those that have no clue what they are talking about" have chased Mr. Fitzmaurice from TalkBass.

9. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Generalities such as this are simply wrong... there has been a lot of solid scientific research on speaker system design along with acoustics and electro-acoustics happening since the 1950's.

IF you were to do even a little bit of your own research rather than taking BFM's word for it, you will find an incredible amount of engineering that went into the designs that found their way into the cinema industry (an industry that I worked in off and on for almost 40 years). In fact, most of the audio amplifier we see in pro audio (and to a lesser extent the MI industry) are based on R&D done by engineers who crossed over between the defense/communications industries and the cinema industries back in the 1940's through the 1970's.

I have engineering texts on acoustics, and on speaker design. Authors in acoustics like Rettinger, Mankovsky, Talaske, Wetherill, Cavanaugh, Long, Lubman, Vanneclausen, Holman, Olson and in speaker design/engineering authors like Rice, Kellogg, Wente, Seabert, Thuras, Shearer, Klipsch, Burroughs, Lancing, Czerwinski, Ausgpurger, Blackburn, Villchur, Thiele, Small and countless others. These are all folks who pioneered early work in acoustics and speakers, of course there are plenty of more recent science based designers, folks like Ken Forsythe, John Meyer, Don Keele, David Gunness, Henry Kloss, Oskar Heil, Amar Bose, Nelson Pass, Rudy Bozak, and so many others.

IMO, for BFM to completely ignore the considerable pioneering and continuing work done by these folks, and others currently designing products using engineering based practices, and to say the things he does about others (while promoting himself as the only, all knowing speaker designer) while ignoring such works shows his utter disrespect for those (past and current) in our industry. These pioneers' insight and accomplishments, and what they brought our industry as a whole, dwarf anything that BFM has ever contributed IMO in spite of his self-promotion.

There are a lot of very smart designers and engineers in the audio industry. When I was studying for my engineering degrees, I was very fortunate that many of these folks were still alive. At the various trade shows and conventions, these very folks presented their papers (most are AES published) and as a young engineer I was keen to learn as much as I could from them rather than assume that I already knew it all. It was humbling as well as invigorating, some of the best time I ever spent, and it helped me appreciate the engineering science of where we came from so that I had a better chance of contributing to our industry's future.

For those of you who might be interested, read up on the history of the audio industry, especially the cinema industry (which was the leader in audio from about 1925 through 1980). It's fascinating, and makes you appreciate what those old guys were able to accomplish with slide rules, paper and a brain.

dregsfan, nutdog, rodl2005 and 6 others like this.
  10. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Oh wait a minute... that's not quite how it went down.

BadExample likes this.
  11. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Sorry if I have this wrong. That’s the impression I got from him. But that’s one side. So, let me stand corrected.

jaysbass2002 likes this.
  12. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Not a surprise, I'm sure that's the impression that he projected.

What he conveniently left out was calling other designers (who were professionals in this industry, me included) clueless, liars, who didn't understand anything about speaker design and couldn't possibly understand the level of design that he was doing. I know he was warned publicly several times about his comments (and the rudeness of the comments) to others on the forum, and ultimately he parted ways.

He's a smart guy, no doubt. But, he's not so smart that he can denigrate the comments of others that were pioneers, and were highly successful in the same field. In fact, nobody's THAT smart.

bholder, tom-g, 3rdcurve and 2 others like this.
  13. jaysbass2002

jaysbass2002 Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Northern New York
    quit a few years back I built a set of t24 tuba subs. Just to prove a point to a band mate who had a set of 18" subs that I thought, well ''sucked''. I went all out with baltic birtch and hl10c drivers 10''. Probably 40 hours each to build. First gig my buddy brought his 18"s to say I told you so. Instead he stood there with his jaw on the floor. They were V coupled with the plate. He was astounded. I later gave them to a Dj who has used them for years and can't find anything that matches the low end hit they produce. I have pics of the build if interested.

Pbassmanca and Zooberwerx like this.
  14. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Wrong 18, try a Bag End :D

jaysbass2002 likes this.
  15. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    post some pics!

BadExample likes this.
  16. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    There's the tradeoff in horn loaded enclosures between size, low frequency extension and sensitivity. Fortunately perceived bass response is not too closely tied to low frequency extension.

Zooberwerx and jaysbass2002 like this.
  17. flojob

flojob Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2011
    When I read this part, this flashed into my brain neeerds. but I also want to say I appreciate all y'all do, so that I don't have to. I love y'all smart folks.

18. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Good effing riddance I say. Buy all those clueless people a drink.

19. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Would you please elaborate? I think I know what you're talking about.

Riis

jaysbass2002 likes this.
  20. jaysbass2002

jaysbass2002 Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Northern New York
    Here are some pics.
    Well I will never claim to be an expert, and also I am not very versed in the mechanical explanations of how speakers work. I also do not know Bill personally, neither did I know about the hard feelings on here. I can say this. We were playing an outdoor venue in a park using the T24's. 2'x2' cube with a 400watt eminence HL10c drivers. At about 75' in front of them the bass was amazing. A couple local Dj's and band members came over and asked what the hell are those??? My hard work paid off I guess. I built these circa 2004 and my buddy "DJ'' I gave them to still amazes people with them LOL. I am not a spokesperson, neither do I use them anymore "powered system now" but they performed very well for me. That's all I got to say about that. Cheers

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    deathness, nutdog, Ampslut and 2 others like this.