1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Used to try 50 to 60 basses a year. Haven't been visting music stores lately. Here's why.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jd56hawk, Nov 30, 2017.

1. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    20171111_163424.
    Oh, yeah, 7.2 lbs!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    BlueAliceOasis, REMBO, wmmj and 67 others like this.
  2. Can't quite see the headstock cause I'm blind, but is that a Charvel?

3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    G&L L2K

4. Ah, thought I was probably wrong! Just googled G&L, some real pretty guitars. Love the finish on jd56hawk's though, natural finish is always the way to go!

jd56hawk likes this.
  5. That's where I'm at too... I love all 3 of my basses and my rig. Every time i step into a guitar shop, i look at everything and just think "meh". I'm mostly interested in growing my collection of pedals these days.

I still see and play around with basses that I'd like to have, but I don't get that "I NEED THIS" feeling anymore...

6. I've only got one bass to myself, a BTB, maybe not the nicest bass in the world, but I feel like it's just growing accustomed to a certain instrument. Someone spoke in a thread yesterday about the quality of the instrument being almost null. Great things come from a bass when you're at one with it!

That all being said though... How's the G&L sound compared to other guitars you've tried over the years jd56? Reading a bit about how Leo Fender manufactured is really interesting!

7. It's all about personal preference. There are experienced, professional players here who use a $100 SX as their primary instrument.

8. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    487996_main_l_201611141331.

My MusicMan Caprice did it for me. This and my Classic Vibe 60’s Precision with flats and a few pedals is all I need.

REMBO, wmmj, Moosehead1966 and 15 others like this.
  9. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Glad you found what fits you. Nice bass.

That's quite an accomplishment. Basses are tough. Most music stores don't have anything close to 50-60 different brands. Even visiting every store in my state that would still be a challenge. You must have a lot of bass playing friends that you've tried. I would've never settled on my few basses of choice if it weren't for friends.

dbsfgyd1 and jd56hawk like this.
  10. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    He said 50-60 basses. He didn't suggest he plays 60 different brands each year.

EddiePlaysBass and Son of Wobble like this.
  11. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Yep, L2k, the Swiss Army Knife of basses, look no further. Had mine since 1983.

12. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Oh? Did I read wrong? I thought he wrote that he tried 50-60 bases per year. I didn't say he played or owned them. Just pointing out that even trying that many is an accomplishment.

13. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Never saw any G&L basses until last year when I saw an L2000 Tribute at Robbie's in Wayne, NJ.
    Not usually a fan of burst or basses without pickguards, but that Tobacco Burst L2000 looked great with the matching headstock so I decided to plug it in and take it for a spin, and it played and sounded even better than it looked. Right then I knew that everything I'd heard about them here was true.
    A few months later I found a new Tribute for $525…at that price, I couldn't pass ir up.
    I have a USA-made SB-2 and almost bought an SB-2 Tribute before I found my new L2000, and I'll probably buy a G&L Jazz bass if I find just tje right one.
    Tone is incredible, passive or active, and the GHS black tapewounds are the perfect strings for it.

14. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I just thought to myself “wow, that’s a long time to own a bass! What’s that, like 23 years?”

I was born in 1983.

15. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Lot of hate for Guitar Center, but the one in Cherry Hill usually has between 80 and 90 basses. Found my SB-2 online at GC in Albuquerque, put down $400 and the manager at the Cherry Hill store somehow convinced the manager at the Albuquerque store to ship the bass to their store, even though I hadn't finished paying for it. Got to see the bass and try it out before it was paid off!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    Bluesman88 and saltydude like this.
  16. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Awesome! Yeah even living in Boston there's no real stores that cater to basses in any exclusive sense. You get maybe 6-7 brands. Some of the smaller stores have a little variety but nothing really new from nice builders.

Edit: Of coarse Taxsachusetts in their infinite wisdom to stimulate small business charges businesses an inventory Tax so the ability for stores to stock shelves is greatly neutered.

17. If I could find a G&L that only weighed 7 lbs., I'd be all over it!

IMG_20170916_152745674.

This Ibanez Premium caused me to stop looking for something better.

18. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    Have you visited Mr. Music on Harvard Av, Allston? Two brothers owned shop operating for Many years and many more to come, their bass section always has a variety of new and used, and their upper end and collector's section has some hand made brands. You need to go there regularly because a good bass will sell very quickly. Yes they also have quality Asian brands as well as new and used Fender.
    Your denigrating MA is Old (and fake) news from the 80s, it's better than it was, and Boston and MA generally is Booming economically weather you are in tech, biotech/medicine, publishing., finance, or construction contracting, food service etc. etc if you need a job come to MA you Will get hired. People are mostly attracted to Boston for the quality of life...which is facilitated by public services paid for by, yes, taxes. (I am not touting the T ha ha, but it's available) It is a green city with bicycle paths and the emerald necklace of forest running through. Have you attended the artist open studios and seen how many artists live in Boston/Waltham/Somerville/JamaicaPlain? Allston is Rock City, and all over the area there are rehearsal complexes (like the Sound Museums) thousands of musicians and while some venues have gone, others have popped up to take their place.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  19. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    We're in the studio next week, two hours.
    Only my second time.
    I'll be playing out of this.
    I'm really obsessing!
    20171130_100612.

20. Shishka Bob

Shishka Bob

May 28, 2017
    CT
    Good topic. I can relate. I have always been a consummate scrounge - always in the pawn shops or Craigslist looking for amps, instruments, mics, etc. - wether I needed anything or not. Since I discovered Aguilar gear I love my MIM Jazz bass and don't need and don't want anyhing else. Maybe forever. It's taken away a good hobby - pokin' around. I kind of miss it.

twinjet, woodyng2 and jd56hawk like this.