1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Used Warrior - Good call?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brendanbass, Jun 12, 2007.

1. brendanbass

brendanbass

Oct 20, 2006
    Indiana
    Today I went into my local guitar dealer, and I talked to the owner about getting a good new bass, and what I asked for was a Warwick, but they said they had none, but they did have a *Warrior* bass. So I asked to see it and they brought me to the owner of the store. I talked to him for a good while, and had dealt personally with him before, and he's a great guy, though a bit kniving, and he showed me HIS personal bass, a sexy Warrior. A few of its specifications are a neck made of Koa and Purpleheart, with a pao ferra fretboard, I dont remember the body wood, but it has custom Bartolini pick-ups and its 34 inch scale on the A, D, and G strings, and the B and E strings are pulled through to the bottom of the body for a 37 inch scale on those two. The neck plays like butter, and i think i've never played a better bass. Ever. Now he was willing to sell it to me for $2500 (before haggling), though he said he got it for $3900. The reason he says he's selling it is because it's too heavy and he found they made a lighter version, which he has on order. Honestly, I figure it is good enough for him to be playing on, I can't imagine that there would be any major problems with it.

If anyone has any feedback or ideas or think i can get it cheaper, let me know.

2. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    It's still a 34" scale for all the strings,even though the E and B string are through the body. Nice basses,built right here in "Jawja".

3. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    dude, a warrior for 2500? if it doesn't have any problems and you like EVERYTHING about it, buy it. And I do mean everything. There's no use spending lotsa money on something you won't be completely satisfied with.

4. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Inactive

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    That is a good price for a store... the 3900 does sound correct... they sold models for 2400, 2900, 3900, 4900 and then upward.

Sounds like a signature or studio but you can't tell by looking at them... need the paperwork.

It is good to play a warrior in person because after 2001 or so they really went hit and miss. You can tell the year from the serial number on the back of the headstock. There is a 2 digit year mark (I can't remember if at the beginning or the end.)

You won't have to worry about 2002 or later if you are playing it in person.

BTW you can get these for under $2000 on ebay but you don't have the advantage of playing it. If you love that bass though get it. Now if he really did pay full price I can't see you getting it for less than that even though it would be easy to online.

I have 2 warriors myself.

5. brendanbass

brendanbass

Oct 20, 2006
    Indiana
    Btw its a 5 string in case anyone was wondering

6. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    soo.. do you love absolutely everything about it?

7. brendanbass

brendanbass

Oct 20, 2006
    Indiana
    I haven't played it enough yet, when i did play it, it was just perfect, literally, i really felt right playing that, but i'm definately going in like every day this week to play on it.

The only problem with it is, I DONT feel worthy playing it. I mean i'm alright at bass guitar, but i know so many people are so much better than me, and i feel as if its not right for me to have one of such a nice bass, like its an unspoken rule... i dont know

8. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Inactive

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    who cares what other people think when it comes to that...

you'll grow into it. I would say get it if you are serious. If bass is just a temporary thing then don't get it.

9. brendanbass

brendanbass

Oct 20, 2006
    Indiana
    Yeah i'm definately pretty serious about it, i've been playing for a few years now, and have decided that I want to get a lot better than I am, so i'm investing in lessons to help me further my skills, I'm willing to start back at square one too, I know that teaching myself i made mistakes and developed bad habits and I just want to be the best bassist I can be, so I'm trying not to be ignorant and full of myself by taking pride in the fact that I taught myself, so I'm getting lessons just to learn how to do things the right way.

*(steps off soapbox)*

10. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Inactive

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    yeah I would say get it. It is certainly not a steal but that doesn't matter if you plan to keep it.

But if you resold it you most likely wouldn't get that much, maybe $1600-$1800... still that is not as bad as a new bass at $2500 (which would probably resell for $1100-$1200)

11. brendanbass

brendanbass

Oct 20, 2006
    Indiana
    Yeah I honestly don't plan on getting a new bass for a while or selling this one so i dont think i'll worry about resale for now. I'll probably haggle it down some too =)

Of course I *SAY* I dont plan on getting a new bass, but GAS will kick in in about a year or two and i'll be bouncing off the walls to get a new sound... *sigh* ... it never stops...

12. There's a 5 string that constantly hanging around Aus Ebay, with a BIN of $1800 AUD (about $1500 USD). Seems like a total bargain but then I've read some posts on the Warrior quality being a bit piss-poor ocassionally. What exactly should one be weary about?

13. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Inactive

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    Be cautious if the serial number is after 2001... the earlier the better.

But either way it is hit or miss on the tone. I think construction-wise all of them before 2002 were good but there is a risk the bass is dead sounding, even before 2002. I would say for the most part always play a warrior before you buy it (or have someone else local do it.)

I've been lucky on my 2.

14. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Is it a neck-thru or a bolt-on ?? If it is a neck-thru, I'd say that's a pretty good deal. If it's a bolt-on, I would pass.

I've had 2 and sold them both. They are nice but not worth the amount I paid for them and the wait I dealt with to get them. It is nice however that you can play this one prior to purchase. I also had trussrod issues and found the workmanship a bit sloppy for that much money.

I saw one recently, either here or on ebay. It was a bolt-on, single MM in the sweetspot, maple neck and I believe fretboard as well. It was nice and under $1500. Now that I thought was very fair for that bass.

There are other very fine basses for $2500 used !! Just my thoughts.

15. slapagroov

slapagroov

Apr 24, 2007
    Fort Myers, FL
    I have to agree with isimy. Some of the warriors are amazing instruments. The owner of the company is a really nice guy, too. But, check it out carefully. I used to use warrior basses and even had an endorsement deal with them. I got to play quite a few different basses they offered. Some you just didn't want to put down and others lacked something in the tone. You could email them and probably get a lot of info on the specific bass. The customer service was always great to me.

If you haven't checked on other instruments, do that. There are a bunch of really great ones out there for that price. Some of them brand new! I'm getting a brand new custom Flea MM+J for less than that, but that's not everyone's cup of tea. If this bass grabs you, go with your gut - if you have the $$!

16. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Warrior basses are Boutique! They are not cheap... $2500 for a mint Warrior is totally reasonable. the only way you will get Warrior cheaper is if the condition gets worse.

17. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA

OK, Listen.

There a MANY, MANY, more things to be judgemental on yourself for, if you are guilty, like.........................
    1: Not helping your fellow man.
    2: Beating your mate
    3: Plagiarism
    4: Stealing a fellow TBer's Bass
    5: Getting a GED vs a diploma when you are a Hilton...:eek:

Finally, no one is promised tomorrow:meh: So if all you said about it is true, and you can afford it, GO GET IT, AND BRING BACK SOME PICS, and when you feel confident about your playing, some CLIPS:bassist: nuff said...:D

18. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    I would look around a little more if I were you. You can pretty much have 95% of the basses out there for that kind of money. Since you will lose a LOT of money on resale you have to be attentive to the details. I've owned heavy basses myself that felt great at first, but started to be a burden when played at practice. Also, I don't know how much experience you have with boutique instruments, but there might be things that you don't like about it after playing for a few months. It's very easy not to notice flaws or things that might conflict with your playing style when playing a bass you hold in awe. Don't treat the bass like you don't deserve it because of your skill. Look at the bass like you deserve the very best bass in the world because you are paying $2500, and that's how much the best cost.

Mike

19. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Pshaw. Buy the best bass you can afford and work to bring your skills up to the level of your instrument. No matter how good you get, there will always be folks who are better. Get used to it and don't let it get to you.

20. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    Hey, bro -

To be a better painter, you need to have good brushes, knowhatimsayin? :D

That's a bass to grow into...and you obviously have the desire to do just that... so GO FOR IT! :bassist:

Good luck to ya!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021