1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Used Warwick or Vintage Modified

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HELLonWHEELS, Apr 2, 2013.

1. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    I recently moved from Los Angeles to Houston for school and was too nervous to take my baby (pics below) a Dargie Delight Music Man Bongo 5 HSP with me. I also just sold my fretless 6 string Ibanez to fund another bass here in Texas. I think I have it narrowed down to 2 options.

Squier Vintage Modified Jazz

or I found this on craigslist, a beat up Warwick Streamer STD [asking price is $370]

http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/3717969143.html

[​IMG]

I'm somewhat of a handy person as i defretted my Ibanez myself and have done some finishing work in the past so i'm not too scared of the project. But the question is... is it worth it.

And here is some bass pr0n of my Dargie Delight

A06_FLEISSIG_BRANDON_PAINT_001_FAVORITE.

A06_FLEISSIG_BRANDON_PAINT_002.

2. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson!

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    It all depends on what you need, tone-wise, but my initial gut reaction is to buy the Warwick.

3. Grizzey

Grizzey

Mar 29, 2009
    NIL
    As nice as those vintage modified basses can be, go with the German Warwick.
    It may be a cheaper one, but still a great deal on a German Wick for that price.
    Besides, those vintage modified squiers will be around for years I wager.

4. That looks like an old Warwick Rockbass with a Streamer STD truss cover on it...I may be wrong, cuz that neck wood looks like wenge or walnut or something better...BUT, if it is a Rockbass...

Avoid THAT age of Rockbass!! They're terrible! If you're going Warwick, get one of the newer ones. They're been redesigned with the same pickups and hardware as the german ones.

If it is the real deal, jump on it!!

5. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    +1

It really looks like a (beat up) old RockBass series Warwick

New ones are a completely different story and they would cost that same price of yours for new

So you have an old RockBass on offer here for too much?

Avoid it like plague

Cheers,
    Wallace

6. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Please grab that Warwick before I do, I live in Houston lol

7. Topspin

Topspin What's my name again?

Dec 15, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I played Tom Sawyer with a pick once. Shame on me.
    I may be wrong (it happens frequently), but don't ALL Warwick basses have the 2 piece bridge? This one looks like a rockbass.

8. OLD rockbass. The new ones have 2 piece bridges and MEC pickups.

9. Osztertag2112

Osztertag2112

Jan 27, 2013
    Warwick!

10. Looks like a legit German 'wick to me. Get a hold of the serial number (I can't read it on the pic, maybe you can) and PM Warwick Official on this site. He'll tell you whether its a rockbass or German manufacture.

If it's German, run, run as fast as you can and snatch it up.

11. HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    I think you guys are right its a Rockbass, I'm not 100% sure but I found this on the warwick site

http://www.warwickbass.com/modules/support/serials.php

The serial number is on the back of the neck rather than on top. This is an example of a warwick rockbass
    [​IMG]

and this is where a german warwick serial is

[​IMG]

somebody please clarify if this seems to make sense.

12. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Dude if the neck is maple its a rockbass. Don't make it difficult. It has the crappy bridge, I'll give you great odds its a rockbass.
    For the record I have a rockbass with the crappy bridge, its a decent bass but almost wholly uncomparable to the real deal.

13. TechJunky

TechJunky

Aug 31, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    That's not a rockbass. That's a Streamer Std, a German made entry level Warwick before the rockbass line was introduced. Definitely an ovangkol neck, and the serial number in the right place for that time (didn't move to the volute until maybe 07 or 08). Definitely get the Warwick! May be entry level, but like someone said earlier, its still a German 'wick and squiers are a dime a dozen. And I've heard good things about the streamer std for what they were.

Oh, and this model did have the one piece bridge (that's original).

14. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    Yes, this is a German-made Warwick Streamer Std. They were made only for a short time and were discontinued before RockBasses came out. This should have an ovangkol neck, wenge board, and carolena body. They came stock with the one piece bridge. I've seen these with both single and dual humbucker configurations, but I don't know which model was more common.

The knobs aren't original and it looks like there's something left over from an amateur refinish on the top of the pickups. It sure is beaten up, but if you don't mind about any of that this should be a good bass for the money.

15. Since it's a German Warwick, I'd advise you pick it up before someone else does.
    If it were my bass, I would replace the bridge on it with something like a Hipshot.

16. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Definately an Ovankol neck with a wenge board. As far as I know, Rockbasses never came with either.

Get the Warwick.

17. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    I kept wondering how y'all knew it had an ovankol neck, finally got to a PC and tried the link, pretty obvious looking at the other pictures. Sorry for the derail OP, I just hate all the craigslist/Ebay bull these rockbasses have created.

18. HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    Pulled the trigger and bought the warwick after only so-so feelings about the Vintage Modified. I paid $300 bucks for it though. Its definitely going need a refinish...

FAFDFA7D-455B-4B0C-A5AA-59E0E416C660-4661-00000316AABF9725.

1E1B5C84-4CA4-425F-ACC6-FE1B99E0779D-4661-00000316B4DDF18D.

22E003AE-E895-4C26-86FA-5CBF8FFB60B1-4661-00000316BC68265D.

675681D6-7978-49C3-80FB-4B140CEFE446-4661-00000316C212DE05.

THANK YOU TO EVERYBODY FOR HELPING ME MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION!