Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Used Warwick Thumb 4-String BO - $800 Good Price?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by japhy4529, Sep 25, 2003.

1. japhy4529

japhy4529 this is only a test... Supporting Member

Hey there,

I am seriously considering picking up a used Warwick Thumb 4-string BO tonight. The price is $800. I played the Bass the other night and she is a beaut. There is one white mark on the bottom of the body (i'm guessing it's paint?). Other than that, she is mint.

I am wondering if this is a good deal? I understand that this Bass retails new for around $1500, so it seems like a good deal. Just wondering what the Warwick experts think.

Thanks,
    Tom

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It's a good deal-not super-fantastic, but still good. Do you know what year it is?

3. japhy4529

So, I broke down last night and bought the used Thumb from GC. I talked to the GC Asst. Mgr. He sold me the Bass for $750, and he threw in a new Warwick Rockbag, since the one that came in with the Bass disapeared. One odd thing is that I bought a set of Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky's and the G string (.45) was missing! :(

OMG! What an amazing Bass. Tone for miles, warm sound, without sounding muddy. Incredible! I recorded a couple tracks in my Studio and this Bass sounds great with whatever style/technique i throw at it! I dabble a bit in slapping, and the sound is sick!

Anyway, I'm not quite sure what year the Bass was made. I am going to write down the numbers and ask that very question here. I know that the last two numbers are -02. I doubt that Warwick makes it that easy!

I will post some sound clips when I get a chance (mostly for my own amusement, since many of you already know what a Thumb sounds like).

- Tom

4. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    tom-
    good deal (750+rock bag)
    you are a lucky dude!
    did GC set it up?
    did you get the owners manual?
    are the pots loose?
    these are just a few concerns...

i assume the p-ups are MECs?
    the bridge pu sounds GREAT in passive.. grindy, growly....goodie!

wax that baby real good.
    that brings up another ques of mine.
    do you guys wax the neck?
    i do and it can a bit sticky (i do get all the res off). it's not a big deal but can i avoid waxing the neck? any subs?

GREAT BASS!.... ENJOY

5. japhy4529

Thanks Meng..

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with this Bass. OK, I'm REALLY happy with this Bass! :bassist:

GC did not do a set-up, but they said to stop in Monday and the tech will make any adjustments I want. Too kewl.

The Rock bag was new so it came with the full set of case (er, bag) candy - truss rod tool, two allen wrenches, owner's manual, wax, registration info, etc.. I have never received an Owner's Manual with a Bass before. Very nice!

BTW, this is by far the best gig bag I have ever laid eyes on! All of the pouches/compartments are great. I can be kind of anal sometimes with my gear and it's great to know that there is a neat place for everything now! Plus it looks like it can handle more abuse than your average gig bag could.

It would appear that the Bass/Treble stacked pot is a bit loose. I am going to have the GC tech guy take a look see on Monday. It is not noisy and the knobs work fine, but I would like to have it tightened up. The volume and pan controls are fine.

There are only two marks on the Bass. There is one white mark on the bottom of the Bass (the spot that rests on my leg when sitting), the other is a very small white mark (probably paint) on the top of the headstock. I was thinking about taking some very fine steel wool to try and remove these marks. Is this advisable? If not, what else could I use to get rid of these blemishes? As I said, I am quite anal sometimes! lol

As for your question about waxing the neck, the manual says that a player's "palm grease" is enough to keep the neck from drying out. I am planning on waxing the body tonight, but I will probably leave the neck alone. I may try to find a bottle of "boiled linseed oil" for the fingerboard.

I would love to know what other Warwick users use for the neck and fingerboard.

Thanks,
    Tom

6. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    tom-
    good stuffs!
    for the frt brd, i was told to use "lem oil" VERY SPARINGLY! i have owned my thumb for 2yrs now and used this oil once. otherwise a clean rag works fine for me. btw i have a ebony frtbrd, may be different for the wenge (spl?) which i think is more porus.
    these oils could harm the frtbrd, pls get as much info as you can before you get all "oiled up"

i love warwick... :bassist:

ps the customer svc at warwick is the best, they can be very helpful

yeah meng:p

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The last two numbers of the serial number on the headstock are indeed the year it was made, so your bass is a 2002.

8. japhy4529

Cool! Thanks for the info. :)