Used Warwick Thumb for pop/rock?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tbitsky, Oct 11, 2005.

1. tbitsky

Apr 15, 2005

I'm the market for a bass, and went looking for a G&L L2000. I wasn't thrilled with the neck, so I picked up a nearby Warwick Corvette. It was my favorite of the day by far, but the idea of a three hour show with that thing around my neck make me hesitate a bit.

Also, the 'Vette seems to be everyone's "entry" into the Warwick line. I'm looking for a bass I'll never need to replace, buy once and be done, versatile enough to work with whatever band I'm sitting in with (usually a pop/rock cover band).

I hear a lot of good things about the Thumb bass. What's a reasonable price for these used? Do people find them to work with most any style of music? Are the electronics a must-replace on these?

What I play: Barenaked Ladies, Phish, classic rock, mellancamp, petty, DMB -- imagine a setlist for a 3 hour bar band

My favorite bass tones: Chuck Rainey, Stephan Lessard, Mike Gordon, Danyel Morgan

I know these thread get annoying, so I'll thank everyone in advance.
  2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I think a Thumb would fit those bands... If possible it would be better for you to try one first.. Check the Dana B Good's website for a dealer in your area.
  3. tbitsky

Apr 15, 2005
    Thanks for pointing that site out to me -- I didn't know about it.

4. diljoel

Jul 29, 2005
    Lessard played a thumb and a dolphin on dmb's first to cds before switching to modulus flea bass. Gordon also uses modulus basses a quantum 5 i think. And your right i own a vette and it's a tank, but i dont think the thumbs are much lighter.
  5. thumb are very nice basses, but with the music you play and the bands you like i would say you might want to look a modulus.
  6. A Thumb would do a fine job with that music, provided that the bass is comfortable for you and that you can really "dig in" if that makes any sense. Also, it is a couple of pounds *heavier* than a Corvette, and the balance might not be as good. Make sure you are able to find one and play it. If it feels good and you're comfortable digging in with one it will be great for the music you want to play.
  7. I can tell you from personal experience that a Thumb would be great for the music you're playing. It's got a very deep, smooth sound that sits great in the mix. During the brief time I owned one, I recorded a CD with a singer-songwriter friend of mine and it's the best sound I've ever gotten on tape.