Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Used Wilfer Bass $8,500

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by davesharp, Jan 3, 2003.

1. davesharp

davesharp

Oct 8, 2001
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I checked out a used Wilfer 3/4 Carved Bass today and it sounded amazing--It had many cracks, (at the f hole, and on the front) nicks and gouges in the body, too many to really tell if there would be a problem down the line. Can anyone give me an idea on how to examine these things and what to look for and/or avoid with a used carved bass that has seen some miles?
    Also, the seller was asking $8,500--does this seem fair?
    thanks
    DS

2. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I've owned a number of Wilfer
    basses over the years. They are
    some of the sturdiest instruments
    I've owned. If you get a good sounding
    one, it will become your "dance partner"
    What do you want to use it for?

3. davesharp

davesharp

Oct 8, 2001
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Thanks for you reply!
    I'd be using it for playing in a jazz quartet, with a bridge pickup amplified--My dilemma is that I don't know how to evaluate dings/cracks/gouges as conditions that would evolve into a larger problem.
    DS

4. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Take thee to a luthier. Or post pics here. A "dinged" Wilfer could be an OK buy for8500 but if any of the cracks are serious ones I would say not.

5. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    Just got back from the Namm show, I played a bunch of Wilfer basses, maybe 6 or 7, some of them sounded really great, I want one of those now, the prices started at $5500 and when up to about $10000, you get a great instrument for the money.

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i second the "take it to a luthier.'"