Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

USED ZON SONUS 6 VS NEW IBANEZ BTB1206E

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ehque, Jan 31, 2006.

NEW IBBY BTB1206e or USED ZON SONUS 6??

Poll closed Mar 2, 2006.
  1. Ibanez BTB1206e

19 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. Zon Sonus 6

108 vote(s)
    85.0%
  1. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    hey guys, its me again.

just ordered a ibby btb1206e, flame maple on walnut and all that. the shop just sent me an email that they are back ordering it, and that its going to take a while, and that i can cancel it if i dont want it.

think is, 2 days later i see in the classified, a zon sonus 6 (graphite neck, ash body, 2Xbart J-pups, older version bart 2-band preamp) is on sale for less than 250USD higher than what im paying for the ibby. i was just wondering, is this a deal i should be jumping at?

2. Pics of the Zon?

How old is it? What's the condition like? Have you ever played a Zon?

3. My opinion is hells yes. I have a Zon Sonus 4 and I love it. Love it, love it, love it. I have played a Sonus 6 on occasion and like them as well. Too much of a beast for me, but to be honest it wasn't much really any than my Stingray 5, lol, which means it's a nice playing 6. I am not much of a fan of the BTBs, they are OK but if you have the extra money by all means step up!

4. Never heard a complaint about a ZON. Everyone attests to their quality and construction. If it is in good condition then I would go for it.

Since you're buying used, you could probaly sell it for the same money you will purchase it should you decide to sell it in the future. If you choose to sell the Ibanez, you will definietely loose money in the transcation selling used.

Of course, it does depend on the condition of the ZON.

5. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I´ve owned a BTB and still have a Sonus (5 strings in both cases).

The Ibanez is a good bass with a versatile preamp, the Zon is a much better bass IMHO. Better quality, better electronics, graphite neck, incredible sustain, better hardware.

Zon all the way, don´t even doubt it.

6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    +1 Zon!!!

7. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Which would be the better buy...a used Lexus or a new Toyota? That of course would depend on the condition of the Lexus, but 9 times out of 10 you're getting a much better value with the Lexus.

Have you played the Ibanez? Are you ordering it because you have played one and it felt great in your hands and you really dig the sound? I'm assuming you've never played a Zon?

If you haven't played either and you'd be buying either one without trying it, then IMHO I'd advise you to go with the Zon.

The thing is though, a Zon has a very distinctive feel and tone. Fantastic to be sure, but not necessarily to every player's liking (me, for example).

8. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Ibanez = 19mm string spacing
    Zon = 16.5mm string spacing

This is a big difference depending on what you're used to.

9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Zon.. No contest..

10. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    +1 (assuming the narrow spacing is not an issue)

11. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

ZON! No comparison between the two. As AJ said - you have to be able to do the narrower spacing, though.

Dan K.

12. I would also go with the Zon.

13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Is this a joke?

You're comparing a Hyundai to a Ferrari.

(The Zon is the Ferrari).

14. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Yes...but not everyone is comfortable driving a Ferrari. Most importantly, a bass has to feel right in your hands. Alembics, for example, are phenomenal basses, but they are nearly unplayble in my hands. Given the choice between an Alembic and say, a Lakland Skyline, I'll take the Lakland any day of the week.

15. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I myself would go with the nez, Zon string spacing is stupid. (to me)

16. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    Don't call me stupid... but what's a ZON, I've never heard of it:bag:
    A pic would enlighten me:smug:

17. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Granted, but if someone hasn't tried either and has an equal opportunity to have one or the other, going with the one that's considered better is a logical choice.

After all, not everyone is comfortable driving a Hyundai either.;)

18. While the Ibanez is a great bass, it's no Zon. I've owned a upper end BTB for some years now, and a Zon is still on my GAS upgrade list. Both great, but I'd say the Zon is in a class above Ibanez. You'd be pleased with either.

19. TBalls

TBalls

Mar 18, 2005
    Boston
    I agree about the Zon being the better buy (as long as you have a reliable frame of reference). The one flaw in this analogy is that Toyota makes Lexus, so it's not really an accurate parallel.