1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Useful little mod to my Pedaltrain Jr. (adds functionality for BBE SupaCharger)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mikeddd, May 7, 2010.

1. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    I came up with a mod for my Pedaltrain Jr. that I think might be useful to at least a few folks.

Where I live is 220v power but depending on where I'm hanging out, the building/room might have 110v power. Dual-voltage equipment is ideal for me, which is one of the reasons I bought a BBE SupaCharger ("SC" from now on) pedal power supply.

The SC is a direct bolt-in using the supplied brackets with most of the PT series (not mini). But once it's bolted in, the voltage change switch is unreachable, unless you dismount the SC from the PT every time you need to change it. No, no; this wouldn't do for me. I broke out the Dremel. :eyebrow: For those who want to know, I used the standard fiber cutoff/grinding wheel.

In brief, I cut out a slot on the inside hole, on the left side of the PT. This slot allows me to reach through the front hole on the PT with a screwdriver and flip the voltage switch. This mod isn't exactly rocket science but you can't reach the switch on a SC if it's bolted into a PT w/o it. :D

This pic shows it all, basically. In this pic, the PT is upside down and looking from the inside. Note that inside the body of the PT there's a horizontal rib of aluminum that spans the width of the chamber. I had to cut that away as well. You can see how the cut slopes towards the inside of the PT. This cut took the majority of the time. There was dust/metal shards all over the thing at this point...it looks like new now that I washed it! Pics of that in a bit.

mod1inside.

Another angle showing the mod from the inside.
    mod2inside.

Opposite angle

mod1outside.

Here's what the Voltage Selector switch looks like when peering in from the outside. Easy to reach, and yes; I have the stock plastic cap covering the hole. From the outside you can't see that anything is different than stock.

seetheswitch.

Finally, my little pedalboard! Not much, but it's my first bass pedalboard and I'm really digging the few effects I have so far and have a Chorus on the way. Don't mind the power cable mess underneath; I'm zip-tying as we speak.

board7may10.

I hope this mod is of some use to others. Thanks for reading. :)

Mike

2. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Very nice!
    I have a BBE in my JR as well, but I don't need anything but 120V.

Great mod by the way!

3. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    very cool. i have a BBE SC on the way for a PT-1, and i wouldn't have even THOUGHT about voltage accessibility.

nice!

4. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Thanks, behndy. :) I can't imagine my little mod being of use to too many folks, but you never know. I've searched/googled on quite a bit of odd questions; it's always nice to find some web page somewhere w/some pics that shows what you're looking for or at least close to it.

My board has grown a bit since these pics were taken. I know have a CEB-3 Chorus and a Bass Big Muff Pi as well. Still a tiny board by TB standards. :eek:

5. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    yeah. i'm actually downsizing a bit right now. i had a PT-Pro with a bunch of stuff that was really fun but i never used live. moved everything that is more useful, less toy to a PT-1. my BBE SC should be here thursday. using a Dunlop Brick... and it's nice but not under-mountable and it doesn't do 12 volts.

think i'm gonna have to do some cutting before mounting the SC tho!

6. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    The Dremel is your friend. Over the years I've found that there's not too much that can't be done with a Dremel and a reinforced (got the fibers running through it) cutoff wheel. :D