Usefulness Fuzz vs Distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Oct 31, 2005.

1. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    So what do you guys find, personally I've found fuzz more useful in a band situation than distortion, but I'm not sure I'm slowly adding to my band board (trying not to make it ott like my solo board) and was thinking distortion or fuzz might be nice to add but not sure.

I've always found when I've gone for distortion I always pick very high gain fuzz sounding ones, where I then find it is much easier to dial similar tone in on a fuzz pedal.

BTW I'm looking at either:
    Tech 21 XXL Bass
    Zoom Hyper Lead

or if I go for fuzz I'll go with my fave Zoom Ultra fuzz

Just incase any of you guys have some opinions on these ;)

Any way what do you guys think which do you place on your boards for your first choice in high gain stomp boxes.

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The EQ on the Zoom is adjusted for guitar. It makes it useless for bass.
    As for tone, I can't say I'm fond of it.
    Distortion and fuzz both have they place on my board.
  3. Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    Fuzz is a type of distortion...
  4. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp

Wow, really, never knew that :scowl: suppose it doesn't matter that they are completely different waveforms and circuits and therefore sounds.

Did you know distortion also falls into the catagory of Synth effects as it adds something to your signal that wasn't previously there.

Hope this is enlightening ;)

And I agree with you Jazz Ad I can justify both a Fuzz and a Distortion on my board, can't justify the space though so I have pick the better for my purposes ;).

5. Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    Actually, overdrive and fuzz are both types of distortion, distortion is simply the corruption of the original signal source.
  6. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Overdrive, distortion and fuzz are all different kinds of clipped signal:

Overdrive = Produces asymetrical cliping via a IC (intigrated circuit micro chip)
    Fuzz = Produces square wave clipping via a set of Transistors
    Distortion = Produces symectrical clipping via IC's

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Strictly speaking: Distortion is any and all clipped signals (ask any audiophile). We, as musicians, just use terms like OD, dist and fuzz to differentiate among various levels of the same thing.

But I am OT. I do like fuzz better than distortion (we are speaking of effect terms here so please, no one correct me). Actually, I wish I knew where distortion ends and fuzz begins (sound wise).
  8. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I use IN-COMBINATION: Aphex Bass Xciter into Boss ODB-3; it's gotta be the combination! With the Xciter set something like 5.5 - 8 - 6.5 - 8, I can adjust the ODB from clean EQ/Boost (using a CCW Blend control), all the way smoothly-through nice 'overdrives', more-and-more 'regular' distortion - and out to Fuzz (with blend cranked CW, and treble boosted).

Try the combination - it'll change your minds about the ODB!