1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Usefulness of graphic eq pedal + parametric eq pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bongostealth, Mar 25, 2013.

1. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Is there a practical utility in using a parametric eq pedal in addition to a graphic eq pedal? Or is it overkill to use them both?

I like to have the most tonal control, but not sure if this type of setup would be redundant.

2. It depends on what you are using, and how you use them. It might be redundant, but if you find two or three distinct sounds you like with a pair of EQ pedals then it would be great.

If you use both pedals to mid-scoop your sound, I'd call that redundant. If you use one to boost a bass freq and the other for a broad hi mid boost then that's not redundant, that's versatility.

3. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Do you have one of these now? If so, do you feel as though there is something missing that the other pedal would handle?

My thought is that a solid EQ pedal of either type will satisfy most players. However, it is entirely possible that some could either (1) find that their pedal doesn't quite hit a frequency range or two that the other would hit, or (2) want to be able to use the two EQ pedals either together or separately to have multiple EQ options.

Either way neither of these options is particularly different than setting the EQ on your amp a certain way and then having a pedal to modify that, so there's no reason it couldn't work well if you have a particular use for it.

4. bongostealth

Jun 3, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Currently I have neither. I'm trying to decide how to build an analog pedal chain that will yield the most tonal control and versatility.

5. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Well, preamp pedals that contain some form of onboard EQ, volume adjustments, and gain/drive are very popular and useful (Aguilar Tonehammer, SansAmps, MXR M80, Rusty Box, the bigger Darkglass, etc.). You could always try one of those as a base tone-shaping source and then supplement with a more robust parametric and/or graphic EQ if you find yourself needing more options.

6. bongostealth

Jun 3, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Yeah, I think this is a good starting point. Thank you.