1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Useless Rant - Tax Return

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by c_joseph_lier, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Maybe you should get your employer to better figure out how much to take off your paycheque.

lowsound

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I am self employed, which stiffens it even worse. Witholding has zero to do with tax owed. Thanks for playing.

3. EDIT: Tim covered it. Tim, you don't do your own taxes, do you? I pay a guy. Worth every penny. Oh, and yes for the consumption tax.

Mike

4. Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Don't get me wrong, I take every exemption I can as well, and don't feel bitterly to those with kid exemptions, just those who take advantage of it. It's just kind of hard to not feel like I am being severely penalized for my situation is all.

Back on topic........I think it's time to put your foot down, and do what you need to do. A couple hundred bucks isn't going to break the bank. If all else fails, I have a cheap but playable P bass I will send you. I keep it around to learn songs and such, but it isn't a necessity by any means. If it comes down to it, let me know and it's yours. The least I can do for a former serviceman. PS - I don't think you guys should ever have to pay taxes again.

5. Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I used to do my own, but not anymore. That's money well spent.

6. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    i have wife + kids, and she is totally supportive of my practices + gigs. she supports my personal time as long as i support hers. i suspect that your wife doesn't have much to do on her free time besides take care of the kids? which does kind of suck for her. why don't you encourage her to pursue a pastime and watch the kids while she does that?

and put forth the argument that life is more than just paying bills. and that even though family is #1, personal pursuits are a close #2 and will actually enhance #1 in the long run.

btw, thank you for your service, and i think it sucks that we can't do more for you to find employment afterwards.

7. c_joseph_lier

c_joseph_lier

Aug 7, 2007
    I appreciate all of your kind words and thoughts ...
    As far as this situation, I guess I do feel like a little bit that it was cool that I played when we met, and now there is the insecurity thing stated in an earlier post ... it sucks, but it isn't like I am in a bad marriage ... we love each other very much, and we have a great time together, so I guess this may be more of a "Don't we have fun anymore?" kind of defense ... maybe I am wrong here too ...
    And, as far as the poster saying don't eat out (I have ramen for lunch, everyday) ... no Starbucks, (Free coffee at work, and it actually IS Starbucks ... :smug:) ... Going out to movies? ... we both hate movie theaters and do not go ... we will buy the DVDs though, and watch movies at home ...
    BASSically and eventually, I will bring her around, but yesterday it just tee'd me off to no end ... oh and as far as the Rondo suggestion ... that is one of the few that I was looking at, but thank you for looking out for a brother ... the other option is a Stagg fretless ...

One final note, in the job search thing, alot of what kept me out of the market on some of these, was that my time with Uncle Sam was what they like to call, "Experience", and sometimes too much means, "Next Please" ... which I think is total Bull Hockey, but then again, I don't run this country, the economy, or the job market ... RANT PART 2 is now complete...:D

8. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    As someone who is relatively familiar with the tax code, I can tell you that these all represent extreme cases.

If you have paid in and are getting 5k back (money that you paid in) or owe 5 figures it's because you are not setting up your withholdings correctly.

As to the family that paid in none and gets back 3-4k; this is most likely EIC money and the earning bracket you have to be in to get this money is dismal. Would you want to live like that guy for the rest of the year just so you could get a few thousand back at tax time?

As far as kids go . . . I paid more in daycare expenses alone than the $1000 child tax credit or extra $3400 exemption netted me.

A consumption tax is not a fair tax. It is an extremely regressive tax. In order to structure a consumption tax so that it would not be regressive would require a burocracy as large as the IRS.

While the current tax code is far from perfect it does represent an honest attempt to make taxation as fair as possible.

9. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    This is why I don't ask for permission to do things, I just keep her informed when I am doing them. ;)

10. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
    My better-half and I have a system for this situation. All tax refunds and bonuses get a 75/25 treatment. 75% for houshold expenses/bills, 25% to spend as we please. If it's my refund/bonus, my 25% goes for either bass gear or hunting gear. When it's hers, she goes to the expensive salon or something else that is completely for HER.

This year is an exception. My tax refund is going 100% for our vacation/wedding this summer, because it's something that is important to both of us. Also, my bonus this spring will be going completely for the house, we're going to buy a replacement for our 20-year-old 19" TV.

11. -1

Mike

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i'm happy i'm not married, i don't have to deal with this crap.

13. +1

Yeah, that's a good compromise. Then over time you can quietly mod it to a real nice player. ;)

14. There's nothing honest about the current tax code. Groups lobby and bribe DC for pork and tax advantages. It's inherently corrupt.

And you don't understand at least one of the more popular "Fair Tax" proposals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FairTax

http://www.amazon.com/FairTax-Book-Neal-Boortz/dp/0060875410

A "prebate" bureaucracy wouldn't be nearly as complicated, large or authoritarian as the IRS.

15. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    The corporate tax code is mind boggling and filled with special interest crap. The personal tax code makes alot of sense to me. I suppose I should have made that distcinction but I thought it was unnecessary since the discussion was centered on personal taxes.

At least that's what the people pushing for the "Fair Tax" are telling you. Incidentally most of the people pushing for this bill are in the upper income brackets where the "Fair Tax" would mean a reduction in their tax burden. Meanwhile the middle and low income segment of the population ends up being taxed more heavily.

Calling it the "Fair Tax" does not actually make it fair. However, I must admit that so naming it was a stroke of marketing brilliance to rival the naming of the "Patriot" act.

16. I have a proposition here for our fellow TBer in distress. Being without a bass is inconceivable (shameless Pricess Bride ref). If some of the other TBers will come together and put up the hardware and electronics, I will build you a basic Model F (not custom, nothing fancy, passive 4-5 string) pro-bono. I would need somebody else (or a group of you) to put up the tuners, bridge and pickups. I will take the hit on the woods and the build. You would have to pay for shipping, that's the only thing I would request from you.

Can we help a brother out?

17. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    I like your idea, Wliser. Your heart is certainly in the right place.

That being said, it may be a good idea to contact the OP and see what his current situation is and if that kind of action would be warranted. As was mentioned a few posts back, this thread is almost a year old.

18. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Yeah me too. And to think, only about 4 months ago I couldnt have said this...

19. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Very cool of you Wilser. Myself I was going to offer up an extra pawnshop bass I have that Im currently not using, then I saw that the thread is almost a year old.

If the op for some reason is still in need of a bass I will more than happily contribute a Gotoh 201 bridge for the build. (I'd offer more, but my financial situation isnt the greatest at the moment.)

20. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    This thread is not about Federal and State tax returns, but rather your return on your wife taxes. I think you might need to open her up for an audit.