1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Useless Rant - Tax Return

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by c_joseph_lier, Mar 12, 2008.

1. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    LOL :D

2. The personal income tax isn't mind-boggling and filled with special-interest crap? HUH? [And consumers pay the corp tax anyway].

Come on dude, study it before you poop on it.

--------------------------

I need to notice these things more often :atoz:

3. oh, I didn't notice that the thread was that old. I just assumed that it was related to the current tax season.

Well, if the OP is still bass-less the offer stands.

4. For some reason I don't see any option to PM him. Hopefully he has solved his situation.

5. I was watching zeitgeist and they explain that there isn't a law that says you have to file a tax return. Apparently the federal bank is about as federal as fed ex.

6. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I think I have friends who have tried looking into it and telling me that, no, there is not a law stating we have to pay taxes on our income. However, try using this argument in court and you'll find yourself audited, in massive debt, and most likely serving jail time. Ask Wesley Snipes. :bag:

7. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Hopefully when he got his return last year he went out and bought himself a bass. I mean, he went so far as to tell his wife he only wanted a $200 bass, proving that, while yes, he did want to spend a little money on himself, he was willing to be more than reasonable and not spend much. Not only that, but he SOLD OFF the gear he previously owned to continue putting food on the table, THAT GUY DESERVES A NEW BASS!

8. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    The personal tax code is fairly straight forward in it's basics. The more you make the higher the rate at which you get taxed. You don't get taxed for money you spent on certain things (state tax, home interest, medical, charity, etc.). And there are a handful of credits thrown in to help out those in certain situations (low income, education . . .) and to encourage certain behaviors (energy efficiency, saving . . .)

How do you figure? What because the consumers provide the revenue for the corporations who pay the taxes? If this is your logic then where does it end? You see the corporations also pay wages to their employees who are also consumers who are aso tax payers . . .

What makes you think that I haven't studied it?

9. TallLankyBastyd

TallLankyBastyd

Jan 31, 2007
    Seattle
    I'm not sure the FDA has approved them for human "consumption" yet but you may want to have a look into "neuticles.com"...

:p

:bag:

10. KrisH

KrisH

Nov 6, 2007
    New Jersey
    I feel your pain -- intimately, and to the same extent. Also, things were better when income averaging was permitted. A good year gets punished by a higher tax bracket . . .

11. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    Figure our the total money generated by all of your stuff you sold to support the family, then pick something much less expensive than the money you generated. If she can not see you gave up lots and only want a little back now that you can afford it you have other issues to deal with.

12. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Correction: higher marginal tax bracket

You're only taxed at the higher rate for the amount that you're into the next bracket.

For example if you were right at the top of the 20% bracket one year and then you made $100 more the next year, moving you to a 25% bracket, you would pay 20% of you earnings minus $100 plus 25% of $100. Please note that these numbers are entirely ficticious and for demonstrative purposes only.

13. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    You pay wife tax whenever you check a task off the "honey-do" list. You should have more than enough for an SX Jazz bass after a year of paying the wife tax.

14. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I stopped reading right there.

15. KrisH

KrisH

Nov 6, 2007
    New Jersey
    Understood. Still bumps your average liability up, though.

16. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Fair enough . . .

17. Hmmmm. I'd consider a consumption tax about as fair as it gets. YOU, the tax payer, are in control of how much you pay. Sounds pretty fair to me. The other version of fair you're in support of is the one where people who make more money get taxed at a higher rate? How is that "fair", again?

Seriously.

Mike

18. The personal tax code is not straight forward. The current head of IRS [TresSec] couldn't even figure out one of the less arcane aspects of it.

Corporations act as collectors of the corp tax. It's another cost of doing business. Will you next tell me that renters don't pay property tax?

And it sure doesn't seem like you've studied the most popular "FairTax" proposal in any detail, as you make the same arguments as those that have not.