Users Can No Longer Delete Their Own Ads

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Mar 6, 2016.

1. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    If we post a duplicate ad to fix something that can't be edited, how do we delete the first one? Thx Here's the link to the original to be deleted: For Sale - Upgraded Squire P5 Thx!

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Reviewer: Bass Player Magazine
    It's been deleted- which aspect did you have an issue trying to edit?

3. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Trying to add a thumbnail photo. I found the instructions after the first post. It was a learning experience. Thx!

4. Ian McLaughlin

Ian McLaughlin

Aug 11, 2018
    Searching for gear is very tedious when users don't mark items as SOLD.

SteveC and db59 like this.
  5. Lucky Chuck

Lucky Chuck Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2019
    Twin Cities, Minnesota
    How do I make the first photo become the thumbnail pic?

The previous time I placed an ad, it automatically used the first posted picture (as explained in the instructions.) The instructions are unchanged, but today's first attempt just used my avatar. (I had clicked on the new button for choosing which pic to use for thumbnail, but that responded that it could find no pictures, even though there were 9 of them. Could that be the reason?)

For today's second attempt, I entered the filename (IMG_0218.JPG) of one of the pictures into the URL field. That resulted in a blank thumbnail.

If you're not going to use the first picture anymore, please change the instructions. Also, please consider providing a way to edit the thumbnail similar to the way most everything else on the ad can be edited.

Thanx, TB.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Reviewer: Bass Player Magazine
    It’s still the first photo uploaded that becomes the thumbnail. This is only guaranteed to work using the upload a file button however – using photos posted elsewhere may not work. Also, IMG_0218.JPG would not be a complete URL which would be necessary for it to function.

7. Lucky Chuck

Oct 28, 2019
    Twin Cities, Minnesota
    That did not work. See my first ad re-titled: Damn Computers...

I had uploaded 9 photos, yet the ad displayed my avatar's Ampeg amp.

(Knowing I cannot delete an ad to try over, I later deleted all the ad content, changed the title and marked it Sold. But the photo that remains is my avatar, same as it was originally.)

Last edited: May 9, 2022
  8. Lucky Chuck

Oct 28, 2019
    Twin Cities, Minnesota
    Also, my second attempt titled "Non-Export Aerodyne" displays no thumbnail. I do not know to find the URL of the 9 images I had uploaded from my hard drive, so I entered the file name. I got no error message, but the ad did not use any of the 9 images I uploaded either. Instead, the ad was created with no thumbnail.

Another newbie created an ad for a 7-string fretless Warwick last Tuesday, and his ad has 2 pictures yet no thumbnail, either. (That feature that automatically selects the first photo to be the thumbnail -- has it been tested recently?)

The tools for editing ads do not seem to allow users to edit the thumbnail. It might be useful to have that ability.

db59 likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2022