1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Users of the Hipshot "vintage bent plate" bridge--your opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bongomania, Mar 15, 2009.

1. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'm considering putting one of these on my Valenti, which came with a Hipshot Type A. Your thoughts about any aspect, structural or tonal, of the bent plate style versus any other bridges?

2. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    I'd stay with the 'A'; by and far my favorite after-market bridge.

Are you aiming for an old-school look? What's your reason for changing?

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    When I had a Fender ADJV not long ago I read many threads about replacing or not replacing the stock Fender bent plate bridge, and the majority of posters said they were happiest with the tone from the stock bridge, saying it was "woodier" and "less brittle" than the high-mass replacement bridges they tried. There's actually nothing at all wrong with the Type A on my Valenti P, but I'm thinking of going to a narrower string spacing, so since I'd be buying a new bridge anyway I was just idly wondering if the bent plate would be "better" for a vintage style P tone.

4. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    1) What's the range of adjustment on that A-style? Maybe you won't have to change.

2) to the OP: I like the bent plate a lot.

5. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I quite like them both - the bent-plate one does look better on older-looking basses

6. I like them a lot- I have them on three basses. A very nice compromise, IMO. It's fairly light, which I like on a Fender type bass, and quick string change. And they look great too. Hell, if it's good enough for Nordstrand it's good enough for me.

7. I have vintage hipshots on two of my basses. I find that they sound like the stock fender bridges, and I LOVE the quick change feature. I think fender should have adopted that long ago. However, you won't be able to use a bridge cover if you are wondering.

8. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Thumbs up, here.

It was just what the doctor ordered for my vintage P for a few reasons:

Drop in replacement

Low mass, vintage style

Quick string changes

and most importantly... the plate is grooved on the outer E and G strings saddles, the saddle screws move in a track. This totally emlinated my most major issue with the original bridge - the saddles of the orginal bridge tended to drift apart while playing.

9. rwelcome

rwelcome

Jan 26, 2005
    I really love the bent plate bridge, I recently built a custom bass where we tried the "A", "B", and "Bent" bridges all on the same instrument, quite an eye opener. I found the A & B quite similar, I like the "A" best of the two because it's more adjustable, but both had a nice resonance, and a very even sound with light and heavy attack. The "Bent" is very different in the fact that it's very lively and I could get a varied sound with more or less right hand dig, so I'd say peppier sound with less sustain. I use both the Bent and the A's on the Sage basses, for my own bass I have a bent plate,strung through the body and I had them delete the top load slots, and mounting points, kick ass bridge. These are my own experiences. I found it easy to note the differences since the bass was a "control" for each different bridge, and the tests were made the same day, so I didn't become partial to what was on for a lengthy amount of time. Take it with a grain of salt, I'm sure others may feel differently. Jairaj converted his Nordy from a Bent to an B style, so he probably has first hand opinions as well.