1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Uses for old guitar/bass guitar strings

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mansjasont, Mar 8, 2018.

1. So I own about 10 guitars/basses and I also do guitar/bass setups as a side gig to pay for gear. As a result of this, I have a lot of guitar strings hanging around. I decided a few months ago that I was going to start saving all the strings I take off and would try find some use for them. In that time I've accumulated a decent stash of them but have not found a use.

Anyone have any ideas? I've seen the typical jewelry and stuff on pinterest but I'm not too interested in that.

2. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Maybe donate them to a local school or put up a notice in a music store or library offering them to a struggling player?

mrcbass and Giffro like this.
  3. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Sell them to jewelry makers. Or dentists.

Giffro likes this.
  4. sm49341

sm49341

May 12, 2013
    Michigan
    I have found 2 uses. I use the thicker wound type guitar strings for hanging art and pictures. The thin 0.010 to 0.013 work good for ice fishing spring bobbers. They attach to the end of the rods and the line goes thru a loop in the end. Great for detecting light bites.

Spectre Gunner and Stumbo like this.
  5. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    The unwound upper guitar strings can become a cheese-cutting wire - just add handles. Of course, that assumes that you are in the habit (or know someone with the habit) of cutting cheese with a wire, which most home cooks don't.

6. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    My friends and I in the Waste Management Consultant business use old strings for garrottes.

Gaolee, IamGroot, Wfrance3 and 19 others like this.
  7. Bong rod...

8. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Recycle them so they don't wind up in the landfill?

9. farace

farace Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    My partner has made dream catchers in the past.

Local guitar shop here is a drop-off point for D'Addario's recycling program.

BurnOut and saabfender like this.
  10. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Dream Catchers sounds cool, got any pics? How big of a gage did they use?

11. farace

farace Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    None here at the moment, but she used an old double bass string, probably an E, as the frame of the dream catcher, with dental floss for the webbing. She says she'll make more.

Stumbo and BurnOut like this.
  12. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Ah, strings for the frame. I thought she was making the web from strings, that would look tough.
    I've made em with red willow frames and sinew.

Stumbo likes this.
  13. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    Weed Wacker string

14. I cut off the ball-ends and put them on necklaces and keyrings

Attached Files:

15. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Inactive Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    My wife and I started this Non Profit several years ago.

Strings For Hope

We handed it off to capable hands in 2016, and it has continued to grow. We are very proud and humbled by the support this start up has received.

Obviously there are several other excellent outlets for used strings. Just don't throw them away.

Moonshine :bassist:

farace and Jokei like this.
  16. Cat toy or poking down the 'S' bend of your slightly blocked drain? :)

17. heatheroo1

heatheroo1

Dec 14, 2009
    Ephrata, PA
    know anyone into trapping? They make good snares.

18. 4-stringB

4-stringB

Jun 10, 2010
    Tallahassee
    The heavier bass strings make great sink snakes. Cut off the thin tuner end and unroll a turn or two, leave sticking out at right angle. Amazing, all the crud down there. High E and B strings on a guitar are good for cleaning gummed up fuel passages on carburetors snake.jpg

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 19, 2021