Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

uses of a 12 stringer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nate 0 jt, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Could someone fill me in on what use a 12 string bass could play? i dont know how well that will be understood so ill explain some more. I have played one before, just in the store and not with anyone else. what i am curious as to is whether it can fit i a band context consistantly, meaning is it just a gimmick for one or two songs or could it be used more? is that clear enough? thanks for the feed back. Nate

2. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    listen to Cheap Trick and King's X (faith hope love is the best example)

also check out Perl Jam's Ten and Galactic Cowboys

wash rinse and repeat.

3. HI Nate-
    I'm the editor of the 12-string bass website at www.12stringbass.com Just a couple of weeks ago we released a compilation CD featuring 12-string bassists. This CD gives an excellent overview of the diversity that is possible with a 12ver. It features 12 bands from throughout the USA and Canada, all of whom are local or regional bands. For the "typical" 12-string sound listen to Cheap Trick's Live at Budokan album. But the 12 can also sound much more subdued, more like a thick, textured 4-string. There are a variety of sounds represented on this compilation CD. All are rock songs with guitars, drums, vocals, and sometimes keys, so you can get a good sense of how the 12 sounds in a "real world" setting.

I have to admit my bias here. Since I got my 12-string I've been hooked! I'll never go back even to my 8-string. I've played my 12 on stage for hundreds of nights in both rock and country bands. You wouldn't think it would work on classical country or 60's rock for instance, but you'd be amazed at the new life it breathes into old standards. So NO, the 12ver is not a specialty instrument or a gimmick! Much of time that opinion comes from players who have never heard a 12 in a real world context. It also has the presence to blow your guitarist right off the stage and move you into their spot. So expect some comments like "That just won't fit with our style of music" comments. I used to get that all of the time until I proved to everyone in the area how much fuller the band sounded. So without meaning to sound like a capitalistic weasel here, buy the CD from the 12-String Bass website for $10 with free shipping and discover the versatility for yourself!