1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Usin an ebook reader or tablet for lyrics/charts?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pklima, Jan 4, 2012.

1. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Is anybody doing this? Would this work in practice and be an improvement over paper? I'm thinking it might be lighter, easier to organize and easier to see on dimly lit stages, but is it really? Would it be durable and reliable enough, though?

I actually have a tech job, but it involves big servers not small tablets so I'm pretty clueless to be honest.

2. We use older IBM Think Pads in the C&W band for charts and it works wonderfully, no more paper shuffles or yelling across stage. They are all linked together using a lap top as a master on mic stand mounts.

3. elHombreSuave

elHombreSuave

May 2, 2008
    Newton NC
    I use an iPad mounted on my mike stand with the forScore app and an Airturn bluetooth pedal for hands free page turning. Works perfect!

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    My singer/guitarist uses his iPad. There is an app for it that shows lyrics & chord sheets, and you can easily transpose stuff on the fly. You can make a set list on it too. It's pretty cool.

You'd obviously need to use a backlit model, otherwise you probably wouldn't be able to read it. I would think my Nook Simpletouch would not work very well...

5. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Thanks, it sounds like this is practical and workable... I'll get a hold of one of these things and give it a try.

6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    There was a dedicated Freehand Musictab tablet for sheet music a while back. It just never seemed to reach a critical mass. They are still selling at amazon.

I use just a PC with LCD screen, and have a couple of problems
    LCD's washout outside or in really bright light
    They can be too bright in a pit, you look at the screen and the conductor fades away. You can flip to white on black to help with this.

I bet there's big announcement soon from Apple soon on a new iPad display.

By the end of 2012 there's going to be a boatload of tablets available. Even Google is going to get into it.