Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

usin more than 2 fingers.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by x15, Jun 15, 2003.

1. x15

x15

Feb 4, 2003
    New Delhi, India
    do you really need to use more than 2 fingers?
    and whats the best way (if i stick to two) to actually pick up speed and ****, is battery by metallica fast because the bassist uses a pick
    or what !

:bassist:

x15

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I use 3.
    You don't NEED to, but it's a nice way to get endurance, speed and versatility.
    Speed is obtained by playing slowly.
    Set your metronome at 60 and play your part, as perfect and tight as possible.
    When done, add 10 points to the metronome and do the same until you get it.
    Up to 240.
    Don't hurry. It can sometimes a weel or so to get one step higher.
    In the end it pays.
    Battery is on Master of Puppets, so I fing it's been played with fingers.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I started with 2, then experimented with 3 for about about 2 years, but now I'm back to 2, pretty much exclusively. I can actually play faster(and more consistently, with better pulse) with 2.

I am in the "2 is all you need" boat :p

4. I started with two fingers for about 3 years (it wasn't as serious back then). Began to play with a pick after that since I joined a band. I played with a pick for four years and just a month ago or so I learned the three finger style. I like playing like that. It gives you more speed and you don't get tired as when you play with two fingers. If you play metal (and similar fast music) I say the best thing is to learn how to play with three fingers. It really is a great help in developing speed.

5. x15

x15

Feb 4, 2003
    New Delhi, India
    some body help me come to a decision on this.
    personally, i can't see the difference between
    using 2 fingers and 3, the only one in focus
    with me, is giving yourself another pluckin
    finger to start goin through stages of bass pms : \.

kay i can't post a poll now but what
    2 fingers, or 3.

:bassist:

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Do whatever YOU want.

I prefer 2, I can go just as fast with 2 as I can with 3, faster even.

Some people prefer 3, you certainly can get triplets faster with 3.

try them both out, use which ever you like the most, Or...why not just learn both, then you can use whatever you feel like at the time.

7. MattyN

MattyN

May 26, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    most times when you're talking bass technique there is a right and wrong way to do something - but in this case i think its a matter of personal preference.

what feels right to you? it sounds like two fingers are getting the job done...

james jamerson only used one finger most of the time and he kicked out some serious sh*&*!

8. Tnavis

Tnavis

Feb 25, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I agree with the majority on this.... do whatever feels natural. I started with 3, oddly enough. It will probably take longer getting used to three fingers, because of the math behind it. I can play faster with three, but more consistently with two. As stated in a previous post, James Jamerson kicked ass and took names with one. Play around with a bunch of stuff, and see what works best for you.

9. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    the only time I really use 3, is when I want to play some fast triplets... other than that, I use two fingers because I am plenty fast with 2

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I started on classical guitar and the way they taught was the 2 finger method, but in different combinations, like index and middle, index and ring or middle and ring fingers. I transfered that technique over to bass and eventually started playing with 3.

IMO, different types of grooves feel better using different fingerings. I might play a half or quarter note groove using one finger to keep the attack consistent. On a faster groove where the notes are going by faster, I'l use three fingers to keep it steady.

using three fingers also lets you do interesting muting/dead note plucks. Check my index and middle fingers on my avatar.

11. I like using three fingers. It allows me to do crazy triplets. Do what the classical player said with lots of modes and scales.