Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

using 12" vs 15" speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mindflow, Feb 9, 2006.

1. mindflow

mindflow

Oct 31, 2004
    San Diego
    so i ordered my Avatar 2x10 neo cab which should be here in a couple of days. my plan with this was to get the 2 10s instead of a 4 10 cab which is what im used to. i was thinking about getting more lower end as well. i went with the 2 10s which are 600 watts rather than the 1200 watt 4 10s. im using an ampeg br4 which can power two cabs at 500 watts each. once the cab gets here im going to play around with it and from what ive read it will probably be up to par and ill order the second half of my short stack. the question is, should i go with a 15 or a 12? i prefer a lot of punch in my sound and 15s sound a little bit slow to me but ive never played through a 12. i was looking at the delta LF 12 which is 500 watts. has anyone tried this? also if i went with a 15 at 300 watts do you think id have a problem with too much power going to that speaker?

2. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    oh me oh my

3. mindflow

mindflow

Oct 31, 2004
    San Diego
    thanks for the insight

4. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    I went 212 & never looked back.

5. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    I also use the B4R through 2 Avatar cabs. The 210 Delta and 212 Delta. If you are getting the 8 ohm cabs, realize that if you're going to run stereo, it will be 340w each. Bridged mono will get you the full 1000w out of this head. I have found that at high volume full range bridged mono, the 210 does not stay as clean as the 212 on the lows. Maybe the Neo will do better? So I ran the head biamped, lows to the 212, highs to the 210. It makes for a much more balanced sound to me, cleaner, and more focused with each cab sort of working in it's sweet spot. I currently have the crossover frequency set at approximately 150 hz. As far as the 115 or 112 choice... tough call. I would not want less low end than my 212, and I don't know if a 112 will handle the high volume as well as it, or the 115. I lean toward the 115. You can always run the cabs biamped stereo and adjust the balance of the cabs toward the 210's a little more, throwing a little less wattage at the 115, and probably not giving up much (if any thump). The B4R has sooo many different options as far as running your gear. It will take some experimenting to find what you're looking for. Just make sure you are well versed on the rear switching etc. on this head. Lots of dials and buttons! Good luck.