1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using 2.1 Computer speakers as practice amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by honestjohnny, Mar 21, 2009.

1. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    I know it's stupid and I could end up blowing them up :scowl:, but using the headphone out of my multi-FX box, I was able to get a good tone and enough volume to keep up with some acoustic guitars, a ukulele, and some hand drums. I positioned the sub in the corner on the floor and the mid/highs together on an end table next to the sofa. The system is 40 watts altogether. That's about all the info I have besides they're Altec-Lansing's that I got at Wally-World 3 years ago for $30. Just thought I'd share! :D

2. fatgoogle

fatgoogle

Jun 15, 2008
    At the mo, im using 2 sets of external powered computer speakers, thorugh my mixer, to run my bass, it opens up some eh... new sounds, especially when i increas the gain.

3. gregoire1

gregoire1

Oct 19, 2008
    Nashville
    I've tried the same thing using the stereo output from my multi-effects pedal into my suround sound. I didn't get any tone but the stereo effect was great! Why doesnt anyone build stereo capable bass gear?

4. fatgoogle

fatgoogle

Jun 15, 2008
    Two, preamps, power amp, 2 cabs, 5 leads?, erxpensive but their ya go.

5. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    how would you damage the speakers? Maybe if you turned it up too loud? I use my computer speakers at home for practice.

I don't own a bass amp, I jut use my POD X3 straight into the mixing board when I play live, so I just plug the X3 into my mixer at home which goes to a pair of Fostex nearfield monitors (my computer speakers)

gregoire1 - I get lots of stereo effects through the X3. I do echos and such rarely but I like to use a stereo delay with no feedback to delay sone side slightly behind the other (10-20ms). It gives quite a wide sound

6. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    using a bass with desktop speakers is going to be too much for them to handle safely.

PA gear, yes thats a better idea. I like the high fidelity natural sound of PA gear, and its stereo capable. if youve got a decent pedal with a good EQ on it you should be able to dial in your tone unless you like the colour of a particular amp

7. fatgoogle

fatgoogle

Jun 15, 2008
    Oh ya sorry, i mitght add, the speakers growl louds, but dont distort or fart out, and these are like 2" or smaller. THeir fine, not much low end, but a low e is still produces cleanly, but not richly.

8. When I practice in the Kitchen or just sitting around playing downstairs - I am using a Logitech setup off my Laptop with a small Sub and I get a great tone - loud enough to be annoying if I want. Sounds so good it is comical.

9. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    then how do you listen to music with bass and drums. The speakers don't produce very low frequencies and most cut the low end before sending the signal to the amplifier to save power. They won't produce the low end, but they won't break either.

10. I practice @ home thru a Logitech z4 all the time. It sounds decent enough if not pushed too hard, and the stereo part is cool! :bassist:

11. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    youre talking about mastered music.

the raw signals from a bass instruments have a lot of energy in the low frequencies, especially from subharmonic "thumps".

cheap desktop speakers simply arent built to the required quality, theyre not designed for that. when ive tried it i can clearly hear the overextension in the speaker. not good

12. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    Wow, did not expect this thread to get 10 responses. Yes, I wonder why practice amps aren't built with a small sub cab and mid/high cab. Also, I use a limiter on my pre, so I don't think it's going to blow the speakers. Plus if they do, they were $30, 3 years ago. I'll get another set.

On a similar note, a guy posted on my List of Powered Bass Cabs thread regarding the Yorkville NX series PA cabs. I noticed that they have a 200 watt 10" sub that might mate well with a powered 8" or 10" 2-way PA cab, like the Yamaha MSR100, for rehearsals. Or it could mate with larger cabs to give a little extra thump, but not p*ss off the sound guy.