1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Using 2 amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rberry7777, Oct 11, 2013.

1. rberry7777

rberry7777

Feb 5, 2010
    Anyone using two amps?
    How do you split your signal?

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    You need to have two cabs before you try a signal splitter.

3. vbchaos

vbchaos

Sep 5, 2011
    Groningen, The Netherlands
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Bass -> BigMuff PI dry output -> WahWah -> Amp 1
    Bass -> BigMuff PI effect out -> several other effects -> Amp 2

Amp1 is set up as a common amp, amp2 has a heavy low-cut

4. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    When I've done it in the past I took a line level output from one rig -- either an effects loop send or a dedicated preamp output -- and fed that into the power amp input (or effects loop return) of the second rig.

5. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I've done it in the past using a voodoo labs amp selector. Granted, I had two heads, and two cabs.

6. danster

danster

Jul 13, 2007
    Connecticut, USA
    I split the signal at my MXR M80 DI. Regular 1/4 out to one amp and parellel out to other.

7. lowend1

lowend1

Feb 15, 2005
    Are you talking about 2 heads to one cabinet, or two complete rigs / combos? If it's the latter, I use a Radial Big Shot ABY. It has a isolation transformer to kill the hum and a phase reversal switch as well. Built like a tank.
    Radial also makes the "Headbone" switchers, which enable you to use two hads with one cabinet. There are separate units for tube or solid state amps. I don't think you can mix the two types.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    There are many ways to go about this- stereo fx pedals, buffered AB/Y box, a mixer. Tell us the goal, and we can tell you the best way to do it.

9. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    You could make your own passive splitter with an audio isolation transformer.
    Document AS103 shows a drawing of a simple passive splitter here:
    http://www.jensentransformers.com/apps_sc.html#musical

The load, and more importantly the capacitance seen by the instrument is affected by connecting two amps, with just a Y cable, so the addition of an active unity gain buffer amp is used in most commercial splitters.

10. kikstand454

kikstand454

Sep 28, 2012
    If you're running two separate rigs, and one has two inputs (passive and active/ 1 and 2), just run a jumper out of the one you don't use over to the input of the other amp.
    done.

11. lyla1953

lyla1953

Jul 18, 2012
    pm'd you

12. rberry7777

rberry7777

Feb 5, 2010
    Anyone use a lehle device

13. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yup I have the Lehle P Split for when I use two rigs. It keeps my two signals absolutely noise free, as I was getting hums trying any other 'cheap' way (slave out, fx loops, chrous pedal, morleyABY).

14. rberry7777

rberry7777

Feb 5, 2010

Jazz out into buffer one line into effects. into mb200 into 2-12 cab. Second line into. Biamp m2v xover output of xover into bgw power amp into 12" sub 100hz and below

This is what i have landed on after my experimentation. Going for a lehle splitter

15. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Good choice, Lehle is pure quality.

16. gpx1200

gpx1200 Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2013
    spencer mass
    my bass goes into the wha then over to the chorus with sterio outs one side goes straight into my gk rb700/neo410/115(cleen side) the other side goes into the 3 channel programmable sansamp then out to a hartke ha3500/swr 2x12(dirty side).
    i can use the level controle in the sansamp presets to adjust how much dirty side i get from the hartke while the gk stays clean so i can have crunchy distortion and still have good definition to my sound
    the cleen side is soon to be replaced by a gk mb800/fearful 1212/6/1, i'm not shure yet if i will move the rb700 over to the dirty side or keep the hartke and i might replace the swr 2x12 with a fearful 12/6