using 2 aural exciters?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ErikKrueger, Jan 16, 2003.

1. i have been thinking about using my bbe362 and aphex 104 cs with big bottom together. can i do this without getting distortion? and which one should be used first in the effects chain?

2. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    As everybody knows, two enhancers is not enough. You need at least four to get decent tone. :rolleyes:

I have both of those units. I tried them together briefly and was not impressed.

What tone are you looking for that you think bi-enhancement might deliver?
  3. ijust wanted to ask other opinions since i ws curious.
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I don't even like using ONE of them for bass. For a few years, I used the Aphex unit with Big Bottom, and swore to people up and down that it sweetened up my tone. After quite awhile, I was hearing an unevenness in the harmonics that I couldn't seem to dial out using EQ. For kicks, I bypassed the Aphex. Result: the sound was MUCH better, with even harmonics. I ended up selling it, and never looked back.
  5. I used to love my BBE and still think it's a terrific "blanket-lifter" but i know with a good bass and fresh set of strings i can get an equally wonderful tone. It was great for adding a bit o' life back into my dull strings but lately, I have just been trying to ween myself off of it. You don't REALLY need that stuff, but it can help if you have other shortcomings in your chain. Cool especially if you hate to bi-amp.
  6. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    :Bevis voice on:
    anal exciters....haha...ha....hahahaha...
    :Bevis voice off:
  7. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

IME it's easy to overuse just one exciter... subtle use is the key to good tone. With that in mind, I seriously doubt that using two exciters would be a good thing.
  9. I use a BBE362 with my peavey tko. It just helps out a semi-lackluster amp, helps with everything.

Just hook both of em up, see what you think.
  10. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    I recently grabbed a BBE 362, hooked it up using my POD Pro and granted, it adds a little low-end but I am glad I didn't pay more than 50 bucks for it. I guess for PA applications, or really large rig's it's really beneficial but running a 4x10 and 1x15 it hasn't really impressed me much.
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

That's a good point: the 204 gave my pair of SWR Goliath Juniors additional girth. I'm rolling back the exciter level now that I'm using Bergantino cabs, especially when I use either the 2x12 or 1x15 in the stack.
  12. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I foresee nothing but air and hiss...... Lots and lots....
  13. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Since MF was selling off the older BBE 482's for $100, I picked one up. My problem was that my B string was a bit too weak and while the effect is minimal, it feels to me like it evened it out. But I don't turn it up much, so I see no reason to hook up two of these types of units.