Using 500k pot in crybaby pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bongo5, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Bongo5

Jun 29, 2005
    I just bought a used crybaby bass wah-wah pedal (lots of fun!) but one thing that bugs me is that when I hit the switch to turn it off, it gets noticeably louder. So... I was thinking that I could add a 500k pot to the wire going from the switch to the output and bleed off some of the signal to the ground - essentially like a volume knob that is only in use when the switch is off. Is there any reason anyone can think of why this wouldn't work?
  2. Interesting. Let us know if and how it works out cause I've got one on the way to me right now. It's coming to my office - man I hope I get it today so I have it to play with for the weekend.
  3. It just arrived at the office.

My first ebay purchase ever. I can't wait to get home to try it out. In fact, I'm going home right now! :bassist:
  4. Bongo5

Jun 29, 2005
    They are a lot of fun. Takes some getting used to though. Let me know if yours has the same quirk as mine... I'd guess its about a 10dB drop in volume when you turn on the pedal.
  5. It does have the same drop. It feels better than using the pedal on my ME50B - which is why I bought it.

This weekend I'm going to play around with it and the compressor of the ME50B to see if I can get rid of the volume drop (which is quite noticeable). I'll let you know if I can sort it out.
  6. Bongo5

Jun 29, 2005
    I just bought a 500k pot... I'll let you know how it goes
  7. Bongo5

Jun 29, 2005
    Success! Works like a charm. Heres a crappy pic I took with my cellphone. If anyone is interested in doing it themselves I can try to explain it in detail.

Attached Files:

• wah.jpg
      File size:
      36.8 KB
  8. Does it eliminate the volume drop?

If it does then I'd like to know details for sure!
  9. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have one too and i dont use it bc the volume drop, if this fixes it i might look into it.
  10. Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    is this the white bass cry baby?
  11. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    So, do you change the internal pot until it sounds right, then leave it alone? If you wanted adjustability, you could mount it to the outside of the case.
  12. Bongo5

Jun 29, 2005
    Ok, there seems to be enough interest to post more detalied instructions. I don't know which pedals this applies to, but I have model GCB-100. The basic idea should still be the same regardless of pedal model.

Look at the switch that controls whether the pedal is on or off. There should be a green wire on the left, and a blue and purple wire coming out of the right. The purple wire is the hot in from the instrument. When the switch is on, the signal goes through the blue wire, and through the wah circuitry. When the switch is off, the signal passes through to the green wire, bypassing everything and going to the output.

What I did is cut the green wire from the switch, and put a 500k pot in the path as follows: I soldered a wire from the switch (where the green wire was) to the middle connection of the pot. I grounded the right connector of the pot to the screw attaching the circuit board, and attached the green wire to the left connector. Then I did a little experimenting to find out how much to turn the pot to get the right volume level. I think its around 2/3 or so.

The one possible problem I can see with this is that when using the wah circuit, there is now a path to ground through the pot. However, I think if you use a 500k pot, the resistance should be high enough not to affect the signal. I'm kind of a beginner at this stuff, so you may want a second opinion (thats what I wanted when I started this thread) but to my ear it sounds fine, and fixes the problem.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else tries it, or comes up with another way to fix the volume drop.
  13. Bongo5

Jun 29, 2005
    Anybody try it yet?